Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CamerAlert Enhancement Requests
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CamerAlert Enhancement Requests
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First the bad news. The program doesn't know anything about roads. Our Google maps are simple bitmaps. So you'll have to live with the occasional false positive.

Now the good news. Yes, presets and defaults are on the roadmap for the next version. Generally you can play with the advanced settings to your heart's content, and then pull al the sliders back into their middle positions. That's the default setting.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lutz,

First of all, please forgive me if I ask a stupid (or previously asked question) but as I don't have an iPhone (both Bo Peep and I have HTC Desire Android phones) we don't use CamerAlert and thus we don't know it very well.

1. Does CamerAlert have a .ini file that can be set up by one user and shared with other CamerAlert users, on the iPhone or perhaps on day even across other platforms (e.g. Android, Windows Mobile 7, etc)?

2. CamerAlert uses Google maps. Can you store an area of Google maps on the phone or do the maps always have to be downloaded?

3. Can CamerAlert use OpenStreetMap maps, which can sometime be far more accurate and up-to-date than Google Maps? If CamerAlert can use OpenStreetMap Maps do they always have to be downloaded or can they be stored on the phone? If CamerAlert doesn't yet use OpenStreetMap Maps could it be changed so that it could use OpenStreetMap Maps?

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
1. Does CamerAlert have a .ini file that can be set up by one user and shared with other CamerAlert users, on the iPhone or perhaps on day even across other platforms (e.g. Android, Windows Mobile 7, etc)?

No. There aren't that many settings so I'm not sure why you would need it?
Quote:
2. CamerAlert uses Google maps. Can you store an area of Google maps on the phone or do the maps always have to be downloaded?

No, Google prohibit caching to any useful extent.
Quote:
3. Can CamerAlert use OpenStreetMap maps, which can sometime be far more accurate and up-to-date than Google Maps? If CamerAlert can use OpenStreetMap Maps do they always have to be downloaded or can they be stored on the phone? If CamerAlert doesn't yet use OpenStreetMap Maps could it be changed so that it could use OpenStreetMap Maps?

It can't currently but it's an option we have considered.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren,

Thanks for the quick reply.

CamerAlert seems to be a rapidly evolving project with new functionality and settings being added with each new release. Whilst a .ini file isn't necessary it allows users to test settings and if things go wrong you just reset or restore a backup of the .ini file. It also allows users to swap settings.

You may have users who just want to be warned of cameras on their side of the road and if they are exceeding the limit. You may also have users who want to be warned of all camera, regardless of whether they are exceeding the speed limit. CamerAlert may have extra features added to help PGPSW Verifiers in their task. These settings might be controlled by a .ini file. It's just a thought. Wink

Sounds Like OpenStreetMap could be a worthwhile addition to CamerAlert, especially if the maps could be saved on the phone which would stop the need for downloading and costly roaming charges if in a foreign country.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From where I sit the sharing of settings/profiles is actually a quite neat idea. At the simplest we could show the actual numeric value for each of the advanced settings, and people could then say which combination works for them and which one doesn't.

Caching: The iOS Google Maps interface does some caching internally, but we have absolutely no control over that. So if you drive the same short route every day you WILL be able to see the (previously cached) maps even without a data connection. But this is of questionable value - since you drive there every day you know where the cameras are.

OSM: We are currently the built-in map API offered by iOS (and based on Google data). Switching to a different map provider (and pin management) is a substantial effort. OSM is an option, but not in the very near future.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing which might be a useful addition to CamerAlert could be an icon which works in conjunction with the warning that a new database is available. ie when using CamerAlert in the time between a new database being released an downloading the new db.

It could be even better if this icon could then take the user directly to the download option.

I generally download the new db before i get underway, but if you could reduce the number of presses required, it could make the app more user friendly.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that idea, we do need to look at making the steps to updating simpler. I get a few support tickets each week from users asking how to update.

Lutz, another issue is the HUD, can we set this to 'off' by default. Had a few tickets from confused users complaining about a rotated/mirrored display who weren't au-fait with HID.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there an easy way to semi-automate night colours? Could you utilise the iPhone's clock to have night colours for, say, 6pm to 6am?

Or, perhaps increase the options:
a) permanent day colours
b) permanent night colours
c) semi-automatic night colours from x pm to x am

There is a built-in sensor for auto screen brightness, but I don't know if that could be used for switching between day and night colours
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
There is a built-in sensor for auto screen brightness, but I don't know if that could be used for switching between day and night colours

They don't offer access to that via the SDK... Well, not if you want to sell the app in their AppStore!

MaFt
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Lutz, another issue is the HUD, can we set this to 'off' by default. Had a few tickets from confused users complaining about a rotated/mirrored display who weren't au-fait with HID.

HUD is off by default.

I see three options

- get rid of the functionality
- rename it to "Select this mode when you want the iDevice to flip and rotate the screen when you lay the iDevice falt on the dashboard in front of you so you can see the display in your windshield. Don't use this for couch testing"
- make it non-sticky so if you really want to use it you have to select it on each app start
- educate users better on what it is and how to disable it after they accidentially switched it on.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
HUD is off by default.

Ah, my bad, has wrongly guessed it was set to ON given the spate of support queries.
Quote:
I see three options

- get rid of the functionality
- rename it to "Select this mode when you want the iDevice to flip and rotate the screen when you lay the iDevice falt on the dashboard in front of you so you can see the display in your windshield. Don't use this for couch testing"
- make it non-sticky so if you really want to use it you have to select it on each app start
- educate users better on what it is and how to disable it after they accidentially switched it on.

Do we need to be so clever and use the tilt sensor? Can we not have an ON/OFF button instead and keep it simple?

Educating users is a great idea, but almost impossible in practice as no-one reads the manual. So if we can't make the functionality obvious in the app, we have an issue.

On the issue of Day/Night, can we have the button more accessible? When driving it is off the page in the settings which isn't ideal.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Do we need to be so clever and use the tilt sensor? Can we not have an ON/OFF button instead and keep it simple?

but then when you pick up your phone you have to try and use it in mirror-image mode to try to get to the settings to turn it off again...

out of those options i think 'non-sticky' would be the best one.

MaFt
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

How do you access the OFF button when the display is mirrored and rotated?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Darren wrote:

How do you access the OFF button when the display is mirrored and rotated?

I've got a few apps that have HUD function, all manage to overcome this easily enough, none use tilt sensor to control it.

You only need to locate and tap the Settings button and ensure that that page is always presented in non HUD mode.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny - that's how ours works too... I didn't know that.

The problem is one that I also mentioned in the Android forum. We need hard data on the usage frequency for each feature/setting before we can rearrange the settings menu.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 9 of 18

Jump to: