Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tchart GPS Speed Sentry
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tchart GPS Speed Sentry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Tchart GPS Speed Sentry Reply with quote

I'm thinking about using the Tchart software as a dedicated speed camera screen on a PDA, using the PGPSW database.

I still have the DriveSmart and it is still as good as the first day of use, the only negative complaint I can think off is it's size and ugliness but I'm always looking to progress to anything that looks better.

I have read this review from Mike Alder, regarding the Tchart GPS Speed Sentry here http://www.pocketgpsworld.com//gps-speed-sentry.php but my query isn't so much the software but as to what I use it on?

I don't want to use a standard PDA due to it's small (ish) screen size, I use long distance prescription glasses whilst driving, I can't keep changing my glasses to look at a 'tiddly' screen!

Has anybody used this on a PDA with a larger screen, a Tom Tom or Garmin size screen is fine - providing the aspect ratio of the software images works?

Also anyone using this software, what do you think of it?

Thanks.

Edited; due to changing the name of the correct reviewer of the Tchart software.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver

Last edited by GJF on Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still use that software from time to time, if you want a large screen device to run it on consider the HTC Ameo/ Athena units as these have built in GPS coupled with a large 5" screen, whilst they are a PPC based phone and quite costly when new but you might be able to pick up a bargain on e-bay as not many people want a brick for a mobile phone - Great as a nav device in the car though (Hirbert Richter make a suitable car holder/ mount for it) - Mike
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, I see what you mean by the size of a brick!

I can't see how they can sell that as a mobile phone, more like a small computer - although it would make a great weapon if you are being mugged.

However - that would be great for what I would need it for (dedicated speed camera database not weapon) and probably look quite 'cool' in the car, lucky I have a big car with plenty of dashboard.

mikealder wrote:
I still use that software from time to time,

As you are not always using this software, is it due to any faults, or just because you are using so many other gadgets?

I'll have to look into seeing what other useful functions that can be installed for use in the car, I can see that I can install other sat nav software such as Tom Tom, I can even type in Microsoft Office when stuck in a traffic jam!

I will now look for the HTC Ameo or Athena and purchase one, I will let you know how I get on.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
is it due to any faults, or just because you are using so many other gadgets?

No faults with it as it simply does what it should do and works really well, prime reason is real estate, the V70 has a large windscreen but space tends to be at a premium with more than one unit in the car at any point in time Laughing

Not cheap, best I can find at the moment is This One and This for the addaptor/ holder which clips to This to provide a very secure mounting solution:

This is running "Home Brew" software for checking Speed Camera submissions where the large screen is very handy, note with this style of mount you cannot attach the magnetic latched keyboard but thats not really needed for car use!
To keep the Ameo/ Athena safe when not in the car I use a leather case made by "Piel Frama" (Its kermit the frog green just to be different).

HTC also make a VGA addaptor cable for this phone so you could connect it to an even larger screen if you can get one safely in the car, I sometimes use it to present Powerpoint slide shows via a data projector.

I am sure when DennisN spots this thread he will add some content as he has been using the same phone for quite a while now running TomTom Navigator software AFAIK - Mike
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike for the info and images, you certainly have a busy dash in your car.

I found two used on e-bay open for bidding, but the one you linked above is better looking as it is black rather than silver.

However I will bid for the used ones any way, who knows I might end up with a bargain!
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

Bought an HTC Advantage X7500 on e-bay for £105-00, installed the Tchart software which at $11 (NZ) is now £7-38 through PayPal - but what a bargain.

I updated the HTC from windows mobile 5.0 to 6.1Rom, (forget v6.5Rom it is too slow) I had no problem at all with Tchart, it installed like clockwork and of course the pgpsw database did as well.

In the past two days I have tried the software for approximately 450miles and it is very impressive.

The only fault (if you can call it that) is the road speeds are wrong on some of the roads - I have set the software on auto speed warnings. Having the facility of a large symbol showing the legal speed on the road you are driving on is extremely helpful for instant information, as these days the expected limit doesn't always apply and road signs are not always obvious.

Where the database speed cameras are involved then that information is useful and I can update them, on the other roads, where does the software find the information on the legal road speed, when it applies to roads with no cameras?

Most of the time though it is fairly accurate.

Looking at this site there doesn't seem to be many using (or at least talking) about Tchart, which I find surprising as it really is a good piece of software.

It is now in full use, alongside the DriveSmart, my next job is to try and add .wav (voice) files if possible to Tchart, then maybe the Drive Smart might be offered for sale, but at the moment it is still useful as it talks through camera information.

Edited; Forgot to add that it is installed on a Brodit mount fixed to the front of the dash (with the Garmin) the mount was supplied with fused wiring to go directly behind the dash, so no cables - looks smart.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got the 7500 at a bargain price Wink

As for the speed limit data Speed Sentry displays this is based upon your current speed rather than the actual speed limit, as you accelerate/ deaccelerate the displayed limit changes in steps that match the nearest applicable limit. For example if you drive at 50MPH on a motorway the software will show 50 as the speed limit, accelerate to 60 and you will see it change - Try it so you get used to it, only the speed camera speeds which are taken from the database reflect anything like the true road speed limit - Mike
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, very interesting, i must admit i couldn't get my head around as to how it worked.

I have Tom Tom Navigator on the same PDA, pity it can't be linked to sat nav software to get speed readings for any road?
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that some of the points I'm now bringing up have already been mentioned HERE, one in particular being linking into Tom Tom software on the same PDA and the Franson's GPS Gate.

I will continue researching and asking on that thread.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: