Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Are TomTom moving to a fully closed system?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Are TomTom moving to a fully closed system?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterb23
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt865 wrote:
I wonder if they'll move to some kind of Apple 'App Store' type system? You might be able to sell the speedcam data but will have to do it through them and pay them a fee.

I think this is the most likely outcome.

From their point of view, why should TomTom allow other data providers access to their massive user base for free? I suspect a Tom Tom Marketplace / App Store is in development.

And if the users cannot access the filesystem on their units then this should remove (or at least reduce) the issue of people sharing purchased data (like the speed camera database).
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My original news item is incorrect in suggesting that these dumbed down models have removed ALL support for custom POIs in that Start/Start2, and XL IQ2/XL IQ2 Live.

I need to clarify this as it was a misunderstanding on my part caused by the lack of POI options in the new simplified menu. There is no longer any option for managing POIs but any that you install do appear in the "Navigate to POI" menu.

So you can still install third party POIs and navigate to them, what you cannot do it set alerts and so speed camera warnings are no longer possible.

However, the forthcoming GO LIVE 1000 is a different beats entirely and with no direct access to its file system it remains to be seen how or indeed if TomTom will manage the install of third party data.

We've had no end of issues with HOME and what is essentially the piracy of our POI data, Custom Cursors etc within it. If TomTom plan to require all data to go through them before it can be installed then we would have to consider the withdrawal of our support for those devices.

TomTom need to concentrate on the core product of navigation and leave content to those better placed to provide the service. Their desire to control every aspect is short sighted and worrying. As has been seen with their speed camera data, the end result is a poorer service for their customers!
SirTart-A-Lot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: me a sceptic never.....!!!! Reply with quote

Call me old fashioned but this is clearly a case of revenue protection from TT.

By controlling access to the platform they control the revenue. This is clearly a case of product management strategy to shore up and defend their declining revenue streams from add ons as the market gets saturated with devices.

I for one have ditched my TomTom over their woeful map updates. In the centre of Bristol one of the main arterial routes goes slap bang through the Cabot Circus shopping centre. That's been open for a year nearly and took a good 2-3 years to build... yet it's still out of date!!! I was in Curry's (I apologise I know they're crap too) looking for a satnav for the missus and even all the latest models on display were showing the old road. Do TT listen are they concerned? NO but they're more than happy to keep flogging so called 'up to date' maps.

Enough ranting about maps, back to the original issue. Some years ago I worked for Orange delivering content on the mobile phone in the early days of WAP. Now WAP really struggled in the early days and so does the mobile internet to a large extent today, with the exception of the iPhone and a few others who have nailed mobile web/apps. The telco's in the early days tried to limit access via the mobiles with so called 'walled gardens'- trying to get a slice of the revenue pie from the app developers, content providers and through data charges. It didn't work surprisingly as wap usage was very low as was take up!!!

Why do TomTom perceive their revenue protection scheme will work? Clearly they need a grip on reality. If their POI's were cheaper and better then maybe people would use those first and not require 3rd party apps. But as demand grows for alternatives to the TT provided apps then so does their revenue drop. Hence what they're doing now locking the platform down.

The really good news is though that because of TT's beligerence, other SatNav providers will start to see interest in their products. More sales, more money and one would hope more development investment, so one would hope to see a few of the alternative providers stepping into the breach and filling the hole left by TomTom. There's no doubt TT will survive as they have a brand name and presence and people will continue to purchase, but have they cut off their nose to spite their face? who knows time will tell!

Call me a sceptic or what?
smartroad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Glad I have suck with my 510! Reply with quote

I have used the 3rd party POI's extensivly. TomTom's built in ones are rubbish and restrictive. I have added Campsites, Petrol stations, hotels and more. I even made my own for motorway services so I could plan in stops on my routes.

I certanily won't be upgrading if this is the case. Not that I have been using it much lately, most of the time I have been using Nokia Maps on my mobile. Not as easy to use as TT; itenerary is a pain to create and currently you can't add your own POI files; but it is always in my pocket and speaks road names/numbers which makes it much easier on my bike when it is in my backpack (I refuse to pay the massive premium for the Rider or Garmin solutions!).
shoare
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a sub to TT's speed camera database because it was only £10 on top of the traffic sub. Frankly, it wasn't even worth £10. There were cameras missing, the speed limits were often wrong and the warnings were a pain. The PocketGPSWorld product is far superior. I am on my second TT and probably need to upgrade soon, but if TT exclude 3rd party POIs then, on top of the inaccurate maps and sometime confusing menu structures (why are some features so well hidden?), it means that I will look elsewhere than TT.

Stephen
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom seem to have given up on their innovative/creative streak and just want a piece of SatNav market sales.

I can see their reasoning as you can now buy cheap devices for less than £50.
This isn’t much more than a years worth of TomTom’s updated maps.

I suspect this has been driven by the need to reduce costs to keep their heads above water.

Writing software that doesn't need to cater for external data sources and features is far simpler to code, more stable and is cheaper to manufacture.

I’m sure that the removal of file access will allow them to profit from after sales add-ons and reduce the use of illegal maps.

I’ve been a fan for TomTom since the Psion days, but I would definitely look else where if this is the new direction/mentality they adopt.

I’m sure others will feel the same as I do and move to another manufacturer who doesn’t stifle the user experience.

Last edited by DeLorean on Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:38 pm; edited 3 times in total
misterfish
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with others, the ability to install and configure POIs (especially the camera database) was one of the reasons I bought my TT.

The evident 'dumbing down' of the user's ability to set the equipment in their chosen way would immediately remove TT as a purchase option in my book.

TT's track record of support is not exactly glowing, and I would be unwilling to gamble that future support and options would even vaguely approach what PGW offers.

This looks like a 'shooting themselves in the foot' move by TT.

I shall now attempt to send them an email voicing my feelings and emphasising that they will lose my custom unless they change thier offerings. The more of us that do this the better, thouigh I'm not sure that they will be concerned at alienating their current and future customer base.

Misterfish
briandavison
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: sad, but it's goodbye. Reply with quote

I like tom tom much more than my previous Garmin, and if their speed camera data was reliable, the way it really does only tell you about a camera on your side of the road is very good - HOWEVER 1 in three cameras I drive past are not on the list!!! - worse than useless - at east if you have no warning device you are on the lookout - Tom Tom effectively tell you there is no camera when there is.

(I hated the "recalulating" announcement with my garmin too - drove me mad)

Use of pocket GPS is absolutely essential to me, and if Tom tom block it them my next device won't be Tom Tom.

They need to know this!!! - they may make a bit more selling their own stuff to the remaining customers, but will lost device sales and customers who may have bought some tom tom stuff as well as pocketgps.
JLee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phew, I just bought a TT Live IQ Routes, which supports custom POIs so than god it's not the v2. Anyone wanting a TomTom should try and get one of these before they run out as it's a great device.
fluke9
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have stated my next device won't be a Tomtom.

But what is a viable alternative ????
Map WCE 845.2645
iPhone 4S 3 (Contract)
========
Dave.
batties
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fluke9 wrote:
As others have stated my next device won't be a Tomtom.

But what is a viable alternative ????

Same Here won't be purchasing another TomTom if they lock down POI's. I am dreaming of the day PocketGPSWorld produce a quality Sat Nav unit Laughing
TT Home version 2.7.5.2014
iPhone 4S with CameraAlert
george57l
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy-c1 wrote:
I rely heavily on the pgw poi's for shops food schools toilets excreta

Pedantic as I am, I normally try to resist the urge to correct people online. But this is worth it. I think you meant "etcetera" (or even "et cetera") but the use of "excreta" next to the word "toilets" made me chuckle. Not sure I want a " nearest excreta" POI on my TT, though.

(Perhaps it wasn't an innocent error but a witty deliberate mistake?)

AS a TT GO530 user for a few years now - and a TT that is heavily customised with UK and French POIs - and never having felt the need to upgrade, I was seriously thinking of doing so now, to go with my new wheels. So I guess I won't be buying any of these "idiot-proof", locked down new TT units.

The contempt that I have always felt TT has for its customers (have you TRIED covering anything non-standard with customer services?) is these days only matched by the contempt I have for them. They may make a great device (until now) but they do not know how to run a customer-oriented business and have rarely shown any signs of caring about that, in my experience. Excreta indeed!
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never understood why anyone used TomTom anyway. Expensive, poor mapping and POIs, reliant on a lot of subscription-based services, dodgy hardware and abysmal customer support. There is a a reason why no one even knows what TomTom is in the US or Germany.
Trev7186
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: TT updates Reply with quote

Hi, can anyone tell me if this update is for new TT's or will it affect my TT 510 if I use the update feature?

Thanks
Trev
Nokia 5800xm
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: TT updates Reply with quote

Trev7186 wrote:
Hi, can anyone tell me if this update is for new TT's or will it affect my TT 510 if I use the update feature?

It only affects certain new models which are supplied out of the box with the dumbed down software.

It does not affect other devices.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: