Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - speed camera submissions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

speed camera submissions
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcbboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: speed camera submissions Reply with quote

I also have sent them in in the past had the emails and still no follow up i went on the notorius wakefield road on the 11th of november evening 8 cameras active only one came up to long a delay from notification to active on the database. also notified of a 30mph active a month ago the postion of one and updated again today. there is one on the map about o.5 miles further on but not this one.Could have lost my licence had i not been a local knowing that they where all up.Yes the road is a mess with cameras, safer maybe due to lack of use now all the traffic is using alternative country lanes including artics but contacting several town council and no reply well thats democracy.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you still using the Garmin Nuvi? if so it might not be offering warnings if your speed is below the speed limit, also can you offer more information on the location such as town/ village etc, just a road name isn't much use when trying to locate it in the UK - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: speed camera submissions Reply with quote

As Mike has said, all but impossible to decipher where you are referring to. Let us know where and we can investigate.

Also useful to know what device you have.

However, I've looked up your record and jcboy has no subscription and we have no submissions recorded under your user-name.

Do you perhaps have a subscription under a different user-name? I have found one similar but that expired in September 09.

Help us and we'll help you!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: speed camera submissions Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
However, I've looked up your record and jcboy has no subscription and we have no submissions recorded under your user-name.

Do you perhaps have a subscription under a different user-name? I have found one similar but that expired in September 09.

Help us and we'll help you!

Eh???

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, my apologies! That's what comes of replying in the early morning! Sorry jcbboy, I mis-read your forum name. Embarassed
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

presumably referring to crazy string of cameras recently added to wakefield road - rob posted about it as a front page news item here at PGPSW

these cameras have now all been checked and will be in the next database release.

MaFt
jcbboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: re your replies Reply with quote

Thanks for realising I am a member and have been for some years, I have received emails confirming my submissions, and was there an answer to my question. What is the time from receiving a submission to you adding it to the database. As I said was it 7 out of 8 activated on wakefield road Huddersfield only one on database. I was travelling just under and within one mph below limit I have a Garmin 710 and is set to 5mph below limit to alert. The submission I made was to one not on database some weeks ago and again up to half a mile from one registering.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: re your replies Reply with quote

jcbboy wrote:
What is the time from receiving a submission to you adding it to the database.
We cannot give you a definitive answer to this question. Our desire and aim is to add verified cameras to the database as soon as possible. Click the link in my signature to get an idea of how we go about it.

From MaFt's post a week ago, I presume your Wakefield Road cameras were added last Wednesday (18th November database release).

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: re your replies Reply with quote

jcbboy wrote:
What is the time from receiving a submission to you adding it to the database.

A couple of (hypothetical) examples:
1. A new camera appears on the A40 approach to London. Within 24 hours there are 50 reports of it, 90% of them clustered within a 10 metre radius.
This happens on a Tuesday....
That camera is very likely to be included in the very next day's database release.

2. A new camera is reported by one person only, on a remote B-road in the Scottish Highlands.
The report is immediately included in the files that the camera-verifying team download, but the camera will not be included in the main database on the evidence of a single unconfirmed report.
What happens next depends on one of the verifiers either happening to pass nearby on one of their normal journeys, or making a specific detour to visit it.
IF it turns out to be a genuine camera (by no means a certainty!), a confirmation report will be made and the camera will appear in the next possible database release. Obviously this may take anything from a few hours to a couple of weeks, occasionally even more.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i get the time / chance to get a screen grab of the submissions for those cameras i'll post it up and you can see what i had to work with!

MaFt
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i'm spoiling you and have spent far too much time on this than i normally would! however, it serves dual purpose for another post as well!

please see this image:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/temp/MaFt/wakeyroad.jpg

the red circles are 'patches' of submission where the submitter is insistent that there is a camera there (hence why they submitted it!).

the 4 that say 'yes' are actual camera sites. the remaining 6 are not. this is why we verify and don't rely on low numbers of submissions to perfect the location! had we just added al of them then we would have 10 cameras marked on this stretch! then we would have had lots of complaints...!!

MaFt[/url]
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand this correctly, about unconfirmed sites not being shown on the main database, why NOT show them, with some kind of clear 'unconfirmed' marker? This would (a) warn people early of possible new sites, and (b) provide a more positive indication for others to confirm/deny for the original submitter.

Just a thought.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was the theory behind the pMobile cameras, so we have hundreds of "possible" mobile sites littering the database! And I'm glad to be aware that the question of other pCamera publications has been firmly discounted by Darren.

Have another look at MaFt's link above and consider - whilst he says it would have resulted in ten sites for only four actuals, if you look closer, the blue and black blobs are a heck of a lot more.

Fixed cameras (and specs are fixed even when they are fixed only temporarily) are easy to verify and will get into the database relatively quickly if it's a well-trafficked road, because a Verifier will be along in the not too distant future. In the meantime, everybody who reports a specs camera will be adding weight of submissions clusters towards acceptance of a site without a Verifier's visit.

BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take your point about pmobiles DennisN, but can't tell if that's what these cameras are - I guess the policy of dropping them after a few months (perhaps LESS than 6?) should take care of them.

For 'fixed' (eg specs or really static) cameras, I don't see quite the same problem as you describe, and some possible use - DO they get verified quickly, or would there be at least some benefit in showing them, and letting people see whether they are there or not (and submit if they wish to), especially on roads which may not be that well trafficked (and so more likely to catch people unawares?)?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But with 10+ alerts for four fairly obvious fixed cams, at least 1 person (perhaps a lot more) is going to object to all the false alarms for non existent cams and spread the word that our data is rubbish Sad At least with pMobiles the user has to deliberately add them and presumably will be aware of the consequences of doing so Confused

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: