Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Stolen Satnav
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Stolen Satnav

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Stolen SatNav?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Realist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Stolen Satnav Reply with quote

Question: I had my Garmin C550 stolen from my works van (smashed side window) and stole the nav, lead and mount. The Garmin was pin protected but the home location was set so my questions are:

Whats the point in the home location because the thief can always come back and use the satnav every time?

And

I set the pin code and Im aware that only Garmin can unlock this but can they not just upload a new update, map, software etc and over ride the pin?

Regards.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Whats the point in the home location because the thief can always come back and use the satnav every time?

Only if they know your Home Location....

Quote:
I set the pin code and Im aware that only Garmin can unlock this but can they not just upload a new update, map, software etc and over ride the pin?

As far as i know they'll have difficulty doing that without the PIN as the unit won't respond to the PC without unlocking. However as with all these things there are probably people who can get round it.
Realist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They know the home location because thats where they stole it from.

Will do some digging and see if it can be unlocked outside of Garmin.

Regards
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They know the home location because thats where they stole it from.

Well then that somewhat negates the Home location function then, but it's a bit like arguing "whats the point in having locks in my front door" when you've left the keys in the lock....

Quote:
Will do some digging and see if it can be unlocked outside of Garmin.

Is there any point? If it's unlocked they can use it. If it's not unlocked they'll bin it.
Realist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So all they need to do is come back to my home location where the sat nav auto unlockes, go into the menu and change the pin or remove it.

What a waist of time.

My next satnav home location is going to be somewhere not related to home, work etc and pick a spot on top of a bloody mountain next to some sheep.

Make me mad but is there a way NOT to set a home location and just rely on the pin.

Plus I found this info:

Quote:

Garmin provides a feature called "Garmin Lock", which allows the GPS owner to assign a (4) digit numeric unlock access code or PIN to their GPS.

The PIN is designed to prevent your GPS from being used by an un-authorized user. It was also meant to be used a a deterrent to thieves, making the GPS useless if stolen.

The PIN setup can be accessed by pressing the "wrench" symbol on the main menu (Nuvi Series). Next, press the "gear" symbol and you should see a listing for Garmin Lock.

When you set up the PIN, you will be asked to enter in a (4) digit numeric code. After you enter the 4th digit, you will be asked again for the code. This is to make sure that both entries match and that verify that the PIN that you request will be the one written into memory.

Your PIN is written into non-volatile memory..... it's not a file that is accessible via USB communications between the GPS and a PC. You can't clear it by disconnecting the power or disconnecting the battery or letting the battery run down. There is no jumper or switch inside the GPS to reset it, so don't waste your time tearing the GPS apart.

Now, after you set the PIN, you will be asked to set the "secure" location. This can be anywhere.... your work location, home, local gas station, school, etc. In order to set the secure location, your antenna must be up and you have to have a satellite lock. If you don't have a lock, the "set" key will be grayed out until you acquire a lock.

The secure location is your "back-up key" in case you forget your PIN. If you have forget your pin, all you have to do is physically go to the secure location. Make sure your antenna is up and that you have a satellite lock. When you are in the secure location, your GPS will NOT ask you for the PIN when you turn it on. You'll then be able to reach the main menu and change the PIN and secure location to something else if you desire.

If you have forgot both the PIN and secure location you are out of luck. You'll have to send your unit back to Garmin to have it unlocked. Garmin may charge you for this service.

Note: If you do send the unit back to Garmin to be unlocked and you are found not to be the original owner of the GPS and it's determined to be stolen, Garmin will contact law enforcement (they're policy on this is right on their website under FAQ's).

Regards
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So all they need to do is come back to my home location where the sat nav auto unlockes, go into the menu and change the pin or remove it.

Assuming they know how the whole system works. They may never have used a Sat Nav before and not know anything about the Garmin PIN Lock and Home Location.

Quote:
What a waist of time.

Not if used properly. i.e. don't leave the sat nav in the vehicle unattended.

Quote:
My next satnav home location is going to be somewhere not related to home, work etc and pick a spot on top of a bloody mountain next to some sheep.

Again don't leave the sat nav in the vehicle unattended and the problem is easily solved.

Quote:
Make me mad but is there a way NOT to set a home location and just rely on the pin.

How would just a PIN offer any more protection? They'll still have stolen it. You've assuming the thieves know how the PIN system works. Chances are they haven't even used one before.
Realist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes im aware that its best not to leave the device in the car but it would be far better to have a longer pin and not have a home location.

But still does not stop the idiots smashinf a window and stealing the satnav if drivers like me leave it the car in the first place.

Regards

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Stolen SatNav? All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: