Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Edinburgh ByPass Cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Edinburgh ByPass Cameras
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chr15t0pher
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Updating of database Reply with quote

I've been driving around Edinburgh City Bypass (between Old Criaghall and New Craighall roundabouts) with my satnav beeping at me in both directions because of Average Speed Cameras which were removed almost a year ago when road upgrades were completed.

Since joining GPS World I've tried on a number of occasions to report their removal, but I have to say that the reporting mechanism has defeated me and the fact that when you're informed of an error and asked to go back that it loses all the data you've entered is just rude!

Guys, please make it easier to update the database as there are a number of locations in Scotland that are out of date and sadly will remain that way as I just can't update!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've been driving around Edinburgh City Bypass (between Old Criaghall and New Craighall roundabouts) with my satnav beeping at me in both directions because of Average Speed Cameras which were removed almost a year ago when road upgrades were completed.

How up to date is your database? I can't see any SPECS (Average Speed Cameras ) around there!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Updating of database Reply with quote

Chr15t0pher wrote:

I can't be certain because you don't give enough info for me to check where these are supposed to be but I suspect you still have the Temp Camera Database loaded?

This was discontinued some months back with all Temp cameras, ve they GATSO, SPECS etc now sitting in their respective files e.g. TEMP SPECS are now in the SPECS file.

If you still have the TEMP file installed you will continue to see cameras that have long since been removed. We did publicise this change when it ocurred.
Quote:
Since joining GPS World I've tried on a number of occasions to report their removal, but I have to say that the reporting mechanism has defeated me and the fact that when you're informed of an error and asked to go back that it loses all the data you've entered is just rude!

Guys, please make it easier to update the database as there are a number of locations in Scotland that are out of date and sadly will remain that way as I just can't update!

The submission system is as simple as we can make it within the constraints both of the systems we have available to us and the info we need to capture for it to function.

Where are you struggling with it?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Updating of database Reply with quote

Chr15t0pher wrote:
when you're informed of an error and asked to go back that it loses all the data you've entered is just rude!

what browser do you use? in firefox (mac and windows) when pressing back it keeps all the form entries? from memory it is also the same in IE7?

MaFt
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Updating of database Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Chr15t0pher wrote:

I can't be certain because you don't give enough info for me to check where these are supposed to be but I suspect you still have the Temp Camera Database loaded?

This was discontinued some months back with all Temp cameras, ve they GATSO, SPECS etc now sitting in their respective files e.g. TEMP SPECS are now in the SPECS file.

The cameras were on the road between 55.923527820755375, -3.0614089965820312 and 55.89981178354364, -3.0921363830566406 (I think they were actually much closer to 55.923527820755375, -3.0614089965820312. (pSpecs:37938@40, Specs:33782@40 and SPECS:33779@40 ?)). I'm not sure when they were removed (MaFt?) but I think it was before the Temps were merged?

Darren wrote:
Quote:

The submission system is as simple as we can make it within the constraints both of the systems we have available to us and the info we need to capture for it to function.

Where are you struggling with it?
Can I suggest that you make sure your database is up to date and then review the situation. Having said that what you see on the submission map should be up to date. Are the cameras that need changing the same on your device and on the map?

If you get an error message when you submit a camera correction, can you post it here? Also, if you are having serious trouble with the form, send the change details in an email to cameras_at (details on the submission page, if you click on [show] to the right of "Submit OV2 Files created by POICapture"). Although that will get the corrections made, we'd still like to help with any problem you are having with the form, to simplify future submissions from you and others.

Edited to add:
Welcome, Chr15t0pher! If there are any specific questions relating to your satnav, it will help us to know what device you have. Can I suggest that you add that to your signature, which you can modify under Profile. While you're there, for interests sake, add your (rough) location.

(Mods, move to Database forum?)

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)

Last edited by JockTamsonsBairn on Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Updating of database Reply with quote

JockTamsonsBairn wrote:

Done.
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed the cameras myself several months ago now. I think you must be running an old version of the database.

iPhone 12
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Updating of database Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
JockTamsonsBairn wrote:

Done.
Thanks, does the OP get a PM or email? It just looks like his post has gone.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Updating of database Reply with quote

JockTamsonsBairn wrote:

If he has asked for email notifications then they will point here. If not I have added a post in the Feedback thread to notify him that the post has moved.

Last edited by Darren on Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If MaFt has the time, could he look to see when i submitted the removal of the SPECS 40mph cameras for this location.
Chr15t0pher wrote:
there are a number of locations in Scotland that are out of date"

can you elaborate on what you mean by this? There are several verifiers including myself that cover Scotland and there are very few locations reported that need looking at currently. If you don't want to post the exact locations here for public display, PM me and i`ll discuss it with you in private.

iPhone 12
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's clear that the issue is with the currency of the database he has installed and perhaps the TEMP cameras rather than our data.

However I ought not to prejudge the issue so let us see what the OP has to say in answer!
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Updating of database Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
JockTamsonsBairn wrote:
Darren wrote:
JockTamsonsBairn wrote:

Done.

If he has asked for email notifications then they will point here. If not I have added a post in the Feedback thread to notify him that the post has moved.
Ta!

MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they were removed july 2008.

temp specs had always been in the specs file though so it can't be an issue with the deprecated temp file.

Chr15t0pher: your subscription started early december 08 - 5months after these cameras were removed. i now have 3 suggestions as to the cause of the warnings you are receiving

1) they are from tomtom's own database
or
2) they are from a pirated version of our database installed before you subscribed and were in a different file type to your current set (eg 'single file' ov2 files would NOT be overwritten by 'speed zoned' files due to different file names)
or
3) the tomtom is 2nd hand and the person you bought it from left the database on there

MaFt
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
Are you able to see what each user has downloaded?

MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JockTamsonsBairn wrote:
MaFt wrote:
Are you able to see what each user has downloaded?

yes Smile only ever downloaded tomtom files so my assumption is they're a tomtom user! Laughing Out Loud

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: