Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How to update Maps in Nuvi 350?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How to update Maps in Nuvi 350?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
__spc__
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: How to update Maps in Nuvi 350? Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a Nuvi 350 with NT9 Europe maps, and I've just bought and installed on my PC City Navigator NT 10.

When I select all the maps to update to my Nuvi, it tells me I only have 220MB left, and need ca. 1.4GB.

Do I need to get the old maps off the Nuvi first, and if so, how?

Thanks for any pointers...
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the 350 have an SD Card slot? If so you might have to send the maps to the SD Card and keep them there.
__spc__
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does have an SD slot, but I don't have a spare card and don't really want to have to buy one.

Using Map Source, I grouped the UK maps into a .gdb file, and the Spain maps also. I uploaded the Spain maps, then the UK maps, but the Nuvi only shows the following to be present:
City Navigator Europe NT 2008 [1] UK
City Navigator Europe NT v9

Both are ticked, so how do I know which UK maps the Nuvi is using? Also, where's the Spain maps?

Before I bought the Map upgrade, I thought it would be a simple case of replacing the maps already on the Nuvi. Seems that's not to be...
__spc__
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK,

Having done some more reading (now I know what I should have been searching for), I have a simple question.

Can I delete the 1.3GB garmin/gmapprom.img file from the device and just have garmin/gmapsupp.img? (Or rename the new gmapsupp.img to gmapprom.img?)
Scarecrow
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about the problems you are having loading your new maps, but would advise that you backup up your map files before deleting anything, just so that you have something to restore if it all goes tits up.
tsdinos
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

__spc__ wrote:
OK,

Having done some more reading (now I know what I should have been searching for), I have a simple question.

Can I delete the 1.3GB garmin/gmapprom.img file from the device and just have garmin/gmapsupp.img? (Or rename the new gmapsupp.img to gmapprom.img?)

Yes you can. Just keep a copy of the old maps somewhere in your computer just in case anything goes wrong. You will have to rename it to gmapprom for the unit to recognise it
__spc__
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying it now....
__spc__
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's Censored the unit then!

It says loading maps, then runs a green progress bar across the screen, and jams on 90%.

It won't even register as a USB device with my PC so I can't copy the old file back....

Help please - I need this unit in a few weeks time to drive abroad with...
Kolster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

__spc__ wrote:

Help please - I need this unit in a few weeks time to drive abroad with...

Give Garmin a call on 0808 238 0000 (within U.K.) very helpful, talked me through my map install on a 350.

John
nuvi350za
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Does the 350 have an SD Card slot? If so you might have to send the maps to the SD Card and keep them there.

Maybe it's work, I'm just to try in this evening.

Thanks a lot.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

__spc__ - yes, I was a bit afraid of something like that happening. And I tend to forget that taking a backup isn't necessarily foolproof if you lose the PC connectivity - I've nearly been caught out by this, as some others have too.

I think you will have to go to Garmin as suggested as it's almost certainly corrupted now - is it new enough for you to go back to the retailer, who might also know enough to recover your unit? Is it under warranty (assuming it's still valid)?

But another (much less likely) possibility is trying to get into the unit's software in some way. Does anyone still recall the discussions on these forums of the various "press-screen-area/turn on/reset" type of combinations which give access to various Garmin mangement screens? Do they know of any such command which might help here?
__spc__
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray - it works!

I had left the SD Card in the unit, which had a smaller set of the new Europe maps (so as to fit on the 1GB card).

Removing that, the unit now starts as it should and recognizes the new maps being installed.

So, in short, to update the new NT10/2008 maps on the Nuvi 350:

1. Attach Nuvi to PC, then MOVE the /garmin/gmapprom.img map file from the Nuvi to the PC (as a backup).
2. Using Map Source, select all the map regions, rename the map set as appropriate, then send to device.
3. When the process is complete (ca. 2hrs), rename the new ca. 1.3GB /garmin/gmapsupp.img to /garmin/gmapprom.img.
4. Disconnect & restart the unit.

Worked fro me, and 4 simple steps.

SO WHY DOESN'T GARMIN TELL YOU DO THIS AFTER YOU UNLOCK YOUR NEW MAPS??!!

Thanks for all help offered, my unit's working again!
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

__spc__ wrote:
Hooray - it works!

I had left the SD Card in the unit, which had a smaller set of the new Europe maps (so as to fit on the 1GB card).

Removing that, the unit now starts as it should and recognizes the new maps being installed.

So, in short, to update the new NT10/2008 maps on the Nuvi 350:

1. Attach Nuvi to PC, then MOVE the /garmin/gmapprom.img map file from the Nuvi to the PC (as a backup).
2. Using Map Source, select all the map regions, rename the map set as appropriate, then send to device.
3. When the process is complete (ca. 2hrs), rename the new ca. 1.3GB /garmin/gmapsupp.img to /garmin/gmapprom.img.
4. Disconnect & restart the unit.

Worked fro me, and 4 simple steps.

SO WHY DOESN'T GARMIN TELL YOU DO THIS AFTER YOU UNLOCK YOUR NEW MAPS??!!

Thanks for all help offered, my unit's working again!

Glad you got it working but GARMIN don't need to tell you anything about this...

There are two ways provided by GARMIN.

Do the upgrade from the upgrade DVD - it does this automatically.. This creates a new gmapprom.img (and other supporting files).

or...

Use MapInstall (supplied on the DVD) which allows you to add specific regions (selected like you do in MapSource). This produces a gmapsupp.img on your unit (or SD card if you like).

In the latter case you could use this method to add another specific region to (say) a UK only unit. If you already have a full European unit - a simple upgrade works automatically - with a FULL unit backup (a must do step) it takes upto 2 hrs to upgrade a 660 to 2008NT.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

__spc__ - Before you changed your file names, you said that with just UK & Spain loaded the unit routed you between the two ok. I would be interested to know if, now, it will still successfully route you between two countries through an unloaded/unchecked country. I feel it won't but would like to know for future reference on my Garmin.

Many thanks.
__spc__
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@BigPerk

I no longer have the UK/Spain map set - but I am tempted to create one and upload it; even simpler, create a new mapset from two separate and small map sections!
So, I can't answer your query, but I will try one day soon. Just not before I need my Nuvi for holiday duties!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: