Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CeBIT 2008 - What Do We Want To See Announced?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CeBIT 2008 - What Do We Want To See Announced?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Shows & Related Technology Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: CeBIT 2008 - What Do We Want To See Announced? Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comCeBIT 2008 opens tomorrow and we will be there reporting live from the show. TomTom have already surprised us by calling a press conference so they clearly have something to announce. But what do we expect to hear or see?

Connected navigation devices are the new buzz word, devices that harness the power of the internet coupled to a navigation platform. CoPilot have already demonstrated how useful this facility can be with their Microsoft Live integration that allows you to search for just about anything and be directed to it on your device. The big issue for users of course is the cost of such a data connection, if one of the major manufacturers could persuade the operators to offer a fixed fee package at reasonable cost, say £50p.a. for unlimited searches etc then it could prove to be a winning system and could also offer live tracking as a by product.

3D mapping is till being touted as the next best thing but impressive as some designs are, do they really add anything to the navigation experience? I don't think so. I'd be far happier if the map data companies spent more time and investment to improve the currency of their mapping, make data such as road widths, weights, bridge heighst etc available on consumer devices etc.

On the 'out there' list would be a satnav that offered HUD (Heads Up Display) functionality in a consumer device. It is already available as factory fit from some vehicle manufacturers but imagine a device that projected next turn arrow information and even safety camera warnings onto your windscreen. It's possible using current technology but the vast range of vehicles it would have to accommodate make it a difficult product to design.

Got any great ideas? Or perhaps some insights into what may be announced?
TheBrit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would I like to see? TT7 for the PDA - that's what. And while TT are at it, to be able to optimise an itinery. Delivery drivers would find that a real boon.

HTC Desire HD - Sygic
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
while TT are at it, to be able to optimise an itinery. Delivery drivers would find that a real boon.

Garmin 7xx series already there..... Cool
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as is copilot 7 and iGO and also directions navigator infact directions navigator has a more postcodes in its database than tomtom according to the press info though when i tested it the postcode data wes more arrurate

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
a4ace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where's my tt7 for pda Crying
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBrit wrote:
What would I like to see? TT7 for the PDA - that's what. And while TT are at it, to be able to optimise an itinery. Delivery drivers would find that a real boon.

a4ace wrote:
where's my tt7 for pda Crying

Motion Thirded. The silence is exceedingly worrying, to say the very least. Come on, TomTom: News one way or the other, please. Evil or Very Mad You stand to retain or lose existing customers on the basis of this, so make any announcements on this issue good ones.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when navigator was mentioned at the press conference tomtom's response was basically "we've never left people int he cold for too long but there are no announcements regarding the navigator software today"

in other words, STOP WORRYING Wink
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an odd statement for them to make, they HAVE left PocketPC/Smartphone/Symbian users guessing for a very long time and have already lost customers to their competition as a result.

I understand that they will not announce or leak a new product until it is ready to launch but given that PND's have now jumped to v8 it's understandable that their PocketPC user-base is annoyed at being stuck with v6 and still no word.
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, I've had enough of TomTom's complete and utter disregard for their PPC customers, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

For my part, TT have until the end of CBIT to announce one way or the other that they will continue to provide PPC/PDA software on general release - not just specific pre-loaded PPC/PDAs and phones - or I for one will be voting with my wallet, and looking to support a different satnav software provider when it comes time to renew my kit.

Sorry if this sounds silly to some, but I have really had enough of companies and their scatlogical levels, and attitudes of, and to, customer support.

Roger
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G1LIW wrote:
MaFt's relaying of their latest missive is the last straw for me. Boiled down to "Don't Worry" is it? Angry

This after an utter age - 18 months or more - of literally zero comments regarding their either continuing support or lack of support for the PPC/PDA platforms. In the ever-so-slightly cleaned up vernacular, they're taking the bodily fluids with that one. Angry

Now, a friend mentioned to me that it's probably cheaper for them to support their own PNDs than to support PPC/PDA software. This is NOT the issue. The issue at hand is whether they are going to continue, or not continue, to support what has, until now, been a very loyal customer base with PDAs and PPCs. The lack of information from one of the biggest companies in this market is frankly insulting to those of us with such equipment, and speaks highly of their complete and utter contempt for us.

Sorry if this sounds silly to some, but I have really had enough of companies and their scatlogical levels, and attitudes of, and to, customer support.

Frankly, I've had enough of TomTom's complete and utter disregard for their PPC customers, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

For my part, TT have until the end of CBIT to announce one way or the other that they will continue to provide PPC/PDA software on general release - not just specific pre-loaded PPC/PDAs and phones - or I for one will be voting with my wallet, and looking to support a different satnav software provider when it comes time to renew my kit.

Roger
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for the double posting - I realised that I'd not completed my rant above, and couldn't find an 'edit' button!
topgearuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep me too... Just TomTom v7 or v8 that will work on my N95 8gb using the internal gps!!

But guess I'm asking too much, since the the N95 has been out for almost 1yr now with no updates or anything
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm I wonder if the fact that Nokia have purchased Navteq and TomTom use TeleAtlas has anything to do with this?
Johnny_D
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highly likely darren ;)

Vodafone offer a highspeed datacard on a fixed rate up to 1Gb per month. So Integration with something like that could work fantastically well.

Not sure what else a satnav could do... Integration or 'convergence' is the current buzzword in the cellphone industry. However surfing the Internet from a TTG is highly viable as you have a much bigger screen than your average cellphone.

But it will be with interest seeing what comes out of CeBIT

JD
Bloody Superb PGPSW Camera Database.
Not much else!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As is often the case at trade shows, the interesting stuff is always announced first so I fear we've heard the best already.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Shows & Related Technology Events All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: