Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Carcomm TomTom 520/720/920 Cradle Reviewed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Carcomm TomTom 520/720/920 Cradle Reviewed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Carcomm TomTom 520/720/920 Cradle Reviewed Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comBased in Holland, Carcomm have a wide range of hands-free car kits, mobile phone cradles, PDA mounts and even mounts for the ubiquitous iPhone. But more importantly for us they have a range of cradle solutions available for PND SatNav devices.

The x20 range from TomTom has had a mixed reception from the early adopters, whilst its slim form factor and extensive feature list is worthy, the basic mount which lacks any form of connectivity is not. For a high end device many users decry the loss of an active mount as was supplied with the range that it replaced, the x10. This is particularly valid if you use the TMC Antenna or iPod Connectivity options as this means you have to connect and remove two plugs every time you dock or undock the device as well as attach it to the fiddly mount thet tomTom chose to use.

Consequently there is a large market for third party mounting solutions that address these shortcomings. We have previously reviewed Brodit's x20 solution but Carcomm have approached the problem of catering for the TMC antenna from a different angle.

Click here to read more...
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you noticed any signal loss on the RDS-TMC with the 90cm extension in place?

Andy
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
Have you noticed any signal loss on the RDS-TMC with the 90cm extension in place?

Andy

None at all. It's no better with the extension but certainly no worse. I can't get TMC near my Home but it springs into life at the same points as it did before using the Carcomm Cradle.
kiwi69
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like a good solution, but if I don't want to use TMC and I don't want to use the 520/720 fm transmitter, can the TMC pigtail lead be use for an audio hardwire aux connection to stereo (with the necessary stereo connections of course Very Happy ) to get mp3 and instructions through the car speakers?

Thanks Thumbs Up
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiwi69 wrote:
This looks like a good solution, but if I don't want to use TMC and I don't want to use the 520/720 fm transmitter, can the TMC pigtail lead be use for an audio hardwire aux connection to stereo (with the necessary stereo connections of course Very Happy ) to get mp3 and instructions through the car speakers?

Thanks Thumbs Up

The pigtail is only an extension of the TMC/iPod socket on the TomTom so it can be used for whatever the TMC/iPod socket on the TomTom can be used for. I've tested iPod connectivity and that worked fine.

It does not extend the audio/line out socket though so would not be a solution for you unless you fancied modding the mount to add a line out extension.
SlimboyFat
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly off topic (sorry), but I have noticed that they do a cradle for the Mio P350/P550. If anybody is using one of these is there any chance of a Review / more pics.

TIA
GpsPasSion
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting mount, thanks for the review...it would be perfect if they had added audio out too, wonder if that can be done for a v2...I can't see it on their site, maybe it's not quite final yet ?
craigrcelica
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GpsPasSion wrote:
Very interesting mount, thanks for the review...it would be perfect if they had added audio out too, wonder if that can be done for a v2...I can't see it on their site, maybe it's not quite final yet ?

Hi,

If you type in the search box "Tomtom 920" you should now be able to see it.

Craig
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea if they're going to do a TMC-enabled mount for the ONE XL?
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor form to reply to your own posting, but it seems that the mount for the ONE XL now also has the TMC plug.

See here for details.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah well spotted, I'll update the review to add that!
maffs0
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren,

I received my Carcomm cradle today- nice piece of kit! Very Happy

I was wondering if you knew who sold the car specific "safety mounts" in the UK. TotalPDA who sold me the cradle didn't know what I was talking about. Alternatively, could the Carcomm be mounted on a Proclip or other such mount.

Thanks,

Matthew.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer Brodit's ProClips. Although ostensibly the same they are in my opinion better. You can get them in the UK from DSLDevelopments and the carcomm can be affixed to it perfectly easily.

The ProClips are un-drilled as supplied but if you use the self tapping screws supplied with the Carcomm cradle and some firm pressure you can affix to them with just a screwdriver.
craigrcelica
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Nuts and Bolts Reply with quote

Hi,

I have recently bought this as a window mount, but I'm confused or being very stupid. The kit only came with 4 nuts and 4 bolts to screw the suction arm to the mount. How am I supposed to therefore screw the swivel joint on this as well as this also has 4 holes, which require 4 more nuts and bolts?

I appreciate any thoughts or comments.

Regards
Craig
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The swivel is supplied for when you choose to install on the dash using a clip or other dashboard mount. This is required to allow the cradle to be adjusted.

Because the windscreen mount is already adjustable, the swivel mount is not used when mounting in this way.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: