Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Road Angel Navigator 9000 Reviewed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Road Angel Navigator 9000 Reviewed
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Road Angel Navigator 9000 Reviewed Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comBlackspot, the company behind Road Angel has become synonymous with safety camera warning devices. Their brand of safety camera warning devices have been at the top of the sales charts for some years and their database is widely regarded as amongst the best available.

Blackspot have had a range of innovative navigation solutions available in their product line-up for some time now, the Road Angel Navigator 6000 was the first combined navigation and safety camera warning device available and the Navigator 7000 was the first to combine this with Ordnance Survey mapping for off-road use.

The 9000 introduces a number of unique features not available on any other platform which include a built-in GSM/GPRS data module that permits OTA (Over The Air) updates of the safety camera database, as well as Traffic and Weather. This system also brings with it the ability to log in via a web portal and track the unit as well as send messages and destinations to the unit.

We have been using the 9000 for a few weeks now, read on for our opinions of the unit.

Click here to read the review...
MILLWALLFC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem; it took me off the A2 then at the Roundabout took me back on. I reported this on the TeleAtlas website as I thought it was a fault with their mapping.

I also agree with the unusual routes it will take you, sometimes it seems like it wants to take you a fair distance out the way. However the speed camera database is excellent and it has not missed any as yet.

I have had this for a few week and it’s using TeleAtlas 2007.1 mapping. I believe the latest out is on the Navman with 2007.4

I have reported around 12 mapping issues to TeleAtlas and RoadAngel and they did a while ago promise they may send me through some BETA maps to try. However I have received nothing since.

The only other disappointment that I have is when you go around corners or roundabouts if there are two or more quick turnings it loses you on the mapping as it’s a bit slow to catch up.

The other issues I had is when you do not want to take the planned route you seem to have to drive a long way before it tells you to stop making U Turns and finally puts you on the route you like to go.

There was another thing I noticed today whilst testing and it’s to do with the London Congestion charge. A lot of Sat navigation units warn you if its going to take you into this zone. I therefore programmed a route into the zone and it took me there without no warning.

So I thought I know I turn of toll roads and see what it says, it then just says “Excessive route calculation, could not calculate a route”. It should surely just say you need to use a toll road.”

However although it has its faults it’s a pretty solid unit. I like the Auto updating of the cameras and the live traffic. I have the live traffic work and have been re routed.

I think if better maps are released this would be an excellent Sat Nav. It’s just the mapping letting it down.

Last edited by MILLWALLFC on Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
MILLWALLFC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also just noticed on their website. If you buy it you also get the Road Angel Compact free of charge for a friend.

http://www.roadangel.co.uk/products/navigator9000/index.html

also there is now a video on their website with a demo of the unit. It looks like they are listening to this site as someone requested the video.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MILLWALLFC wrote:
However although it has its faults it’s a pretty solid unit. I like the Auto updating of the cameras and the live traffic. I have the live traffic work and have been re routed.

That's it in a nutshell, it's a £400 device with a £100 navigation interface. The OTA updates are great, and they work but that cannot (for me at least) justify the cost of this device when there are units for half the price that deliver better navigation functionality.

I don't think I mentioned in the review but will add a note the the £400 price gets you a UK map only. The additional £72 per annum for the updates is another expense as well.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike_RA wrote:
there are some points on the 9000 where it takes you off motorways then back on them this is a bug. but we are working on this.

i work for RA.

Mike

Hi Mike, Welcome. It is always good to have some expert feedback.
MILLWALLFC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it is fixed. Will the update be available free of charge ?
pushandpull
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at £500 (£430 plus £72 for Camera Database-annually as well!) and with poor Navigation and satellite pickup, there is no way this is going to replace my ageing TTG700!
Not when it has excellent navigation, satellite pickup and I can get the PGPSW camera database for a quarter of the cost!
The next version might be worth considering if they can sort out the navigation and satellite pickup problems and bring their price down to a more reasonable level. As already pointed out there are many other devices available nowadays with better performance at a cheaper price.

I like the idea behind this device but the price/performance just don't match it!

TT940 Live TTG920T, TTG700, TTG Classic, Nuvi1410
MILLWALLFC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one good thing that stands out if the Traffic information. As its done by a mobile phone sim card i have always got a reception unlike all the problems with the Tom Tom and other sat navs.
MILLWALLFC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried the Unit Software - Application Update program. I did tonight plugged the unit in all sucessful etc. However it does not tell what it upgraded all looks the same to me. The only thing it did when i went into music player first time it come up with fatal error. I then reset unit and it now works.

http://support.blackspot.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=168&nav=0,29
Fred333
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the review. I was looking around for a review for awhile now.
gasdiver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Road Angel 9000 Reply with quote

Well, I had the most unfortunate dealing wuth this company. Received fisrt unit and I had to stand outside in the rain trying to get a signal with this unit. Sent the unit back as I thought it was faulty. Cost me £470 with subscription so you expect to get a good service. NO! They had the cheeck to send me a re-con unit and thought they could get away with it. They sent me another unit which was set up by head boffin. Arrived next day, did not work as there was an error with the card.

Beleive me, after waisting day's waiting around for Citylink to pick up and drop off parcels I am glad to see the back of this unit.

Also, be careful if buying of the net there are web sites out there maskerading as Road Angel when they are not.

BE WARNED
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the unit is now under £300.00 + £5.99 a month

Have they made any improvements since the review?
Does anyone have one Very Happy

The idea of not have to play with mobile phones for data appeals to me but they use the "zero range" (orange) network which has poor coverage in my area.

HummerUK
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No change to software, save your money. I'll bet there will be other 'connected' devices along this year.
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well having little sense I got one for £250.00 + £99.00 for a 2yr sub.

Menus are in deed a mess and it sure does not pick the best routes.

My biggest let down is that it cannot automatically warn you of breaking the speed limit.

The only over speed warning has to be set manually to a speed between 20 and 130mph

I thought it would get it, where present from the map data Sad

No problem with vibration of the unit with the dash mount even when going over speed bumps at 20mph plus.

However the speaker did not work in my dash mount but after a call to Road Angel a new one arrived the next day!

Sound quality is pretty good and you can have a female voice for navigation and male for safety warnings.

Orange SIM card was activated within 5 minutes of my online registration and parting with another £99.00 Sad

The gadget is pretty sensitive and picks up the sats okay in my house as does it in my detached garage.

Unit is a little odd and seems like two apps stuck together.

Road Angel part for example shows time in true 24hr format e.g. 17:27.
Navigation part shows that time as 05:27pm

As I mentioned menu navigation is poor.

For example from the Road Angel screen to check the weather in East Sussex the following taps on the screen are required.

Menu, Remote, Weather, England, Bottom Right Area of England Map, Correct Area Of Next Map (has a list of counties A-I).

I now have basic weather for today and next two days Smile

To return to Road Angel screen the key sequence is as long!

Tap Back, Back, Back, Back, Back, Back and Back

I kid you not....

It does seem to give you good warnings of black spots and school zones but as per normal with the gadgets not all of them Sad

I used it today to go to Sheffield Park and the POI took me to nowhere near the entrance of the gardens and not even on the correct road with the entrance.

I did however spot a road sign which took me to the correct road.

I have yet to find my perfect SatNav and have now tried quite a few...

HummerUK
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest, what are your specific 'needs'?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: