Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Worthwhile reporting mapping errors?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Worthwhile reporting mapping errors?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom/TeleAtlas Digital Map Data
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Worthwhile reporting mapping errors? Reply with quote

I have a Navman 630 with SmartSt v3. I have read that mapping errors should be reported at: http://www.teleatlas.com/template_content.jsp?ctype=support_pda&contentpage=supportpda.jsp , but that page doesn't even list v3 as a supported product (it does have v2).

Does anyone have experience of reporting map errors and getting them fixed?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reporting mapping errors is like voting. Only after you have done it you do have a right to lament.

So yes, do report the errors, and specify "Other system" - it doesn't really matter.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very off-putting when you submit errors and it is immediately classified as 'under analysis' and four months down the line they are still 'under analysis'.
Having said that, I would still report them. Hopefully the error will eventually be fixed.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When reporting mapping errors to any geodata provider it unfortunately takes time and some get prioritised higher depending on the amount of complaints. NAVTEQ and TeleAtlas will usually check against previous cataloging of the roads and surveying. NAVTEQ usually go out and survey each road and if necessary if they believe something has changed will go out and re-survey.

TeleAtlas are a little different where they mainly rely on data from other third parties, so as they don't have a large team like NAVTEQ do, they will sometimes re-survey the roads but it will take longer, or they will try and re-clarify the data through third parties.

Either way, don't expect anything over night. Once it is re-surveyed it'll take approx a year from that date to get into the end-user products.
sp-tor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my very first test trip with TomTom I was directed through a road which has never been open for driving, and it continued like that further down the road (directed through another illegal road). I thus started my collection of errors which I intended to report to TomTom.. however, in the end, after driving around a lot I ended up with one single report to TomTom: With the exception of downtown city streets, the TeleAtlas maps appear to have no information about roads whatsoever, except that they exist. Whether those roads are cow paths or walk-only or one-way, it doesn't know. Makes it pretty difficult to use.. you essentially have to know the area very well, otherwise you'll get stuck!
The third party responsible for the TeleAtlas mapping in my area (city in northern Norway) has clearly done a very bad job of it.
Anyway, duly reported to TomTom, and if this isn't a cause for free upgrade of map then I don't know what is.

-Tor
mike_d
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reporting situation is almost self defeating, it seems you report an error and they won't act until there are lots of reports, but those who might actually report are those who have greatest interest ond see that little happens, so they don't report, and nothing happens. Just a lot of discontented users and the rash of articles in the press we have just seen.

Mike
mike_d
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just reported three serious errors in Macclesfield, being directed into vehicle prohibited pedesrianised areas and the wrong way down a one way street. The one way street is correctly identified on Autoroute 2006 (i.e. at least one year old) but not on the most recent TomTom map. As part of the experience I was offered tour of the updating process, which stated that updates were released every 90 days or so. If this is the case why do we not get updates from TomTom more frequently and why does it take so long for the changes to appear?

Mike
Millmaag
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike_d wrote:
...why do we not get updates from TomTom more frequently and why does it take so long for the changes to appear? Mike

Why indeed !

Given that the road network does get changed from time to time, it would seem entirely appropriate for all the companies selling digital maps at outrageous prices in comparison to paper maps, to compensate for that by providing regular map updates over the internet, in exactly the same way that our virus scanners are automatically updated in response to new viruses. We all know that a lot of work is involved in updating a digital map - but there is also a lot of work involved in analysing a new virus, identifying it's signature and creating a reliable way to block and/or remove it. I see no reason why updated digital maps could not be posted for automatic download on a weekly basis, even if these updates only included the limited number of mapping errors corrected in the preceding days. Over time, these incremental downloads would add up and make a big difference to the end user.

There has been so much adverse comment about this issue that the creators and purveyors of digital maps cannot be unaware of what their customers think. The conclusion I have drawn is that they currently don't need to care what existing customers think, because their sales of new units are still growing very quickly. However, there will come a time when the market for new systems gets saturated and revenue will largely come from updates rather than new sales. Perhaps at that stage, these companies will have to start responding meaningfully to the established user base.

Maybe I'm just cynical or a grumpy old man - but there's a lot us out here and sooner or later TomTom is going to have to stop taking us for rides across green fields and the like !

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, with MapShare this will all change, potentially overnight. You can block bad roads (like the one way road above) and you can report road changes much quicker.

You can also chose to download all changes made by others, or only changes from trustworthy sources.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom/TeleAtlas Digital Map Data All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: