Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Loading camera database to myguide3100
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Loading camera database to myguide3100

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buffdaddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Loading camera database to myguide3100 Reply with quote

I have just purchased a myguide 3100 sat nav system and downloaded the appropriate camera database for my device. I think I have unzipped the files as I can see the following:

pocket gps_uk_pmobile.txt
pocket gps_uk_pmobile.bmp
pocket gps_uk_sc_bmp
pocket gps_uk_sc.txt
license.txt
release.txt
needhelp.htm

The Pocket GPS downloading instructions says only .txt files should be copied which would mean only the following
pocket gps_uk_sc.txt
license.txt
release.txt
Am I correct with this assumption?

Being a total novice, I am asking what the rest are for [ .bmp files] as I clicked on them and saw camera symbols. Aren.t these required for the speed camera functionality?

Also can speed cameras and maps co-exist on the same SD card and work effectively.
My simplistic thinking was that if maps work from an sd card, why can,t speed cameras?.
My idea is to have both databases working from one SD card.

Pleaeeesee!!!. I would appreciate some clarity before I proceeed

Thank you for your help
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know your system, so have a read of the instalation guide on the download page for your device. But what I can tell you is the

pocket gps_uk_sc_bmp
pocket gps_uk_sc.txt

Files are what you want, bmp is the icons displayed on the map, and txt is the database. The pmobile file is the UNCONFIRMED mobile cameras, personally, I don't use them, so you could get away with just using the other two. The

license.txt
release.txt
needhelp.htm

Files are for your reference only, don't use them. I don't know why it says copy the txt files only, I would have thought you need the bmp file too.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. The page does appear to be incomplete. CLICK HERE

Quote:
Installing Pocket GPS Safety Camera Database

Connect unit to PC (may require installation of Active Sync)
Use 'Explore' to browse the unit
Go to: \Flash Disk\MyGuide\POI\SPEEDCAM
Copy the extracted .txt files to this folder
You may need to 'soft reset' the unit

You probably should also copy the BMP files as these are the icons the unit will display. I'll see if someone can confirm / update.
Buffdaddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. I will take your advice and install just the following.

pocket gps_uk_sc_bmp
pocket gps_uk_sc.txt

I will do so as soon as I have some clarity about my other question which is ............
Can speed cameras and maps co-exist on the same SD card and work effectively.
My simplistic thinking was that if maps work from an sd card, why can,t speed cameras?.
My idea is to have both databases working from one SD card.

Pleaeeesee!!!. I would appreciate some clarity before I proceeed

Thanks again for your help
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a myguide3100.
But the camera database is a series of location points and on all other satnavs I know, they have to be loaded onto the map, or both map and cameras don't get together. Edited - ignore this blue bit, see below - So on my device, I copy the relevant files into the map folder - in that folder are (amongst other files) the map file and the camera data files. The software marries the two together. The maps and cameras HAVE to co-exist.

From looking at the instructions it would appear that your device keeps cameras in the SPEEDCAM folder and map in another, then links the two. If you don't have maps and cameras on the same SD card, I cannot imagine how they would work - surely there is only one SD card in the device?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Buffdaddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there is only one SD card in the device. however Pocketgps forum only talks about loading the speedcam maps onto the device

You may need to 'soft reset' the unit.

Their is no guidance on how to load the speedcam cam files onto the SD card. I have always thought that [as you have said in your response ] that both databases should be on the same card.

Can you please give a a step by step guide on how this should be done.
I have also checked the SD card that comes with the unit. Aside from the maps, it has no MyGuide\POI\SPEEDCAM folder , directory or anything like that on it. I then wonder how / where the speedcams would be stored on the SD card. On second thoughts, do I need to create this folder.

Thanks again.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear in mind some of us are struggling with this - I've no idea what a myguide even looks like, far less how it works - is it the one from Lidl?

Anyway it's sounding a bit like maybe there's already "something" there BEFORE the SD card comes into play - the clue being in the wording \Flash Disk\MyGuide\POI\SPEEDCAM. This seems to indicate it being in Flash - Internal - rather than on a card. Does the device "work" without an SD card inserted - does it navigate or show mapping? Or must you have the SD card in there first?

If it works without the SD card, then (ASSUMING YOU HAVE TAKEN BACKUP COPIES of the device) try creating the \Flash Disk\MyGuide\POI\SPEEDCAM directory and copy and paste the speed camera files (txt and bmp) into it.
If it doesn't work without the SD card, try the same on the card (again, BACKUPS is the imperative).

Wouldn't it be just great if somebody else with a myguide joined in this thread to help us all out??

MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you may need to create the folder yourself. 'flash disc' IS the memory card. there are other users ('peasemore' being one) who have installed the database onto the myguide units. i'm sure i read somewhere that someone had to find a 'hack' to copy files from the card to the internal memory(?) but i can't find that post now...

MaFt
Buffdaddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myguide 3100 gps unit was purchased at Comet. It is similar to the one sold at LIDL as they use the same software/ infrastructure.

Myguide units will only work with the SD card inserted into the unit itself.

I have got the units installation CD which contains the speedcam folder.
I guess I may need to copy that folder onto an SD card, transfer the speedcam database files into it and then copy the maps onto the SD card.

You mentioned something about backup....What am I backing up and why?

Your comment about assistance from someone with a similar navigation system is totally accurate.It would make this a lot easier.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buffdaddy wrote:
You mentioned something about backup....What am I backing up and why?
It's from experience (not just me, "everybody") with other units. The units usually have software installed, either on internal or external "media" (disks, SD cards, whatever). A backup is a complete copy of everything. You usually do it by connecting whatever the media is, to your PC, then using Windows Explorer (set to show all files and folders), you create a backup directory on the PC (e.g. called MyGuideBackup2007-08-14) and copy everything off your device into it. When your device throws a fit and goes belly up, you connect it to your PC and copy all that stuff back to where it came from and it works again. Many people take backups at intervals, because they make changes to how the device works and so save a later version to save having to try to re-set the changes again.

If your device is a "blank sheet" out of the box and is set up by the CD, it wouldn't be a bad idea to copy the CD and keep it safe.

Finally, have you noticed the Search button towards the top of the page? Using it, I did a search for posts by "peasemore" (the name MaFt gave you earlier) and it came up with this thread, which you might do well to read. If you also do a search for MyGuide 3100, you'll find a few threads to look at. At the very least, you'll probably see names of members who may be able to help, because I doubt I'll be much more use..

Buffdaddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have been most helpful. I will look up the threads you mentioned and also find out how to back up everything on my device and then see how I get on from there.

Regards
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you. Happy hunting. Just wish I could have helped properly. Sad

sgw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: my guide 3100 Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Yes. The page does appear to be incomplete. CLICK HERE

Quote:
Installing Pocket GPS Safety Camera Database

You may need to 'soft reset' the unit

You probably should also copy the BMP files as these are the icons the unit will display. I'll see if someone can confirm / update.

I had installed both mobile and static as directed and noticed that on flyover all cameras showed the static gatso icon even if mobile !!! then noticed that the original instructions said nothing about putting the bmp in the speed camera folder.

I then copied all but the bmp's to the speed camera folder and on flyover they do show even without the bmp !!! there is a file already within the speed camera folder which I think may already hold a generic icon for a camera therefore the igo/myguide software may only display this icon regardless of camera type ????.

One thing that puzzles me is that on a quick drive earlier there is 1 camera that shows up with icon but I get no warning,settings are active and just up the road another camera works fine with a really good alert.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: