Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Free speed camera database dowload with purchase?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Free speed camera database dowload with purchase?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omhfj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Free speed camera database dowload with purchase? Reply with quote

I recently bought a nuvi 310 with speed camera database download but cannot see how to do this without paying a subscription.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who did you buy it from?

Did you get a copy of the database or are you just trying to update the database you have?
omhfj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: speed camera database download Reply with quote

globalpositioning systems uk, i'll call them
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is another thread on here regarding the same people.

I'm awaiting clarification myself but if i understand correctly the situation is you get one copy from globalpositioning systems uk and then all updates have to be purchased from here.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
There is another thread on here regarding the same people.

I'm awaiting clarification myself but if i understand correctly the situation is you get one copy from globalpositioning systems uk and then all updates have to be purchased from here.
That's certainly my understanding! There are several companies who have a similar agreement with PGPSW to distribute a free copy of the database with a new purchase, to give the buyers a flavour of how useful the database can be. Unfortunately many buyers are reading that as a free subscription Crying or Very sad I haven't studied their sites, but possibly these companies need to clarify their descriptions? Maybe one of the team could go through the list of these "partners" and check their advertising?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies to globalpositioning systems uk!
As you can see their site clearly explains the situation, but that suggests that your new toy SHOULD have come with the database pre-loaded! (Presuming that you've either paid the "£10.17 (£11.95 incl. VAT)" fee or got the setup as a free offer?)
From here
Quote:
After setting up and testing your new unit we will install the latest Speed Camera Database*, allowing you to hit the road with confidence. We will also set an audible beep to alert you when you approach a Speed Camera.

* The Safety Camera Database provided is copyright of PocketGPSWorld.com Ltd, all rights reserved world-wide. To purchase an update please visit www.pocketgpsworld.com.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
omhfj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the responses. I understand now that is just the upgrades that require subscription and that the unit already has access to the exisiting database installed.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has been said above, we grant licence to some retailers to supply a one month trial of our safety camera database. However this MUST be supplied by the retailer at the point of sale and it should also be accompanied by clear instructions to the customer that updates can be obtained from us upon payment of a subscription.

We have been made aware that only a few retailers are honouring their obligations, GlobalPositioningSystems for example do not make it clear that this is a 'trial' only. Consequently last week I gave notice to all retailers that the current permission to offer our database was being revoked with effect Monday 16th July. We have now sent out new licence agreements which clarify their obligations and we will monitor those retailers who sign up to the new agreement closely in future.

If anyone purchases a GPS device and believes they should have received OUR database but didn't then I'd be happy to investigate. Similarly if anyone believes that our database was included in a purchase and they did not receive it from the retailer then please contact me. We will take action against any retailer failing to adhere to our licensing agreement in future.
grahamdeepwell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Still confused Reply with quote

So, like me, omhfj's Database came pre-loaded.

Is this a 1 month trial, or the 'full' version that we shall have to pay to update?

Or a 90 day trial which then costs £35 a year.

Or should we go for yours at £19 a year?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have our database then you 'should' installed the latest available version. To update this you will need to subscribe to access the updates at a cost of either £2 for one month's access or £19 for one year.
grahamdeepwell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My nuvi is saying 'Safety Camera Database Copright 2006 Cyclops UK Limited'.

Their website http://www.cyclops-uk.com/

Can I assume it is not your Database after all?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's correct it is the one Garmin themselves bundle as a trial. Which one you choose to continue with (if any) is entirely down to you, Garmin's (using data supplied by Cyclops) costs £39pa after the 90 day trial expires.

If you do a search here you will see that many Garmin users have chosen ours.
Stargate2006
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,

May I ask.

What about the Safety Camera Parthership use your dasebase.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I understand the question?
Hugh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Speed camera database update Reply with quote

Darren,

I have recently subscribed to updates on the speed camera database which was pre-installed (bought from GPS) on my Garmin Nuvi 300. I downloaded and installed to my Nuvi the latest update. Now the system doesn't warn me of the cameras! What has happened here? Where have I gone wrong?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: