Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sat Nav Palace Gaffe
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sat Nav Palace Gaffe
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Another headline grabbing pile of garbage! You have to wonder about the intelligence of a coach driver who simply types in 'Hampton Court' and then blindly follows the directions!

In the end the story is not so much about the failure of the navigation system than the failure of the driver to plan properly and ensure he both knew where he was going and had checked the correct destination address!

Totally agree Darren, I suspect the satnav system worked perfectly, it was the drivers that malfunctioned.

Although I would question your point that he should know where he was going, if you knew that why have satnav in the first place?

This really is a case of sheer stupidity on the drivers part 1) not checking the route and 2) not knowing where such a popular destination such as HCP is in the first place!!

With proggies like google earth etc there really is no excuse for coach drivers to screw up.

I have just got back from 8 days in Switzerland and my TT really did me proud, it performed faultlessly (sp) both autoroute and a few other routing software tried to send me via Geneva to a place called Les Mosses (my destination),TT was the only one that came up with this particular route via Besancon and Pontarlier, so I checked the road suitability on paper maps and they looked no worse than the aforementioned route, so I thought why not? it saved me about 2 hours driving and the roads were perfect main roads.

Ok, on the return journey we had heavy snow and were held at the Suisse border for three hours because the road was closed due to three seperate accidents, but thats not TT's fault. Wink

On a seperate subject, yet again I had both French and Swiss border guards on the coach and yet again they paid no attention to my TT whatsoever.

To old to die young.
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
Eldar wrote:
Quote:
On the other hand my theory doesn't explain the bus drivers or have we finally arrived to the truly classless society?

Would like to comment and could be an interesting topic, but too many bus drivers to fight back on this forum, to go down that road (excuse the pun).

Good move, lets not forget that you can't tar people regardless of what profession they are in with the same brush, that would be silly. Wink

To old to die young.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate that it's not reasonable to assume he knew how to get there. My point was simply that it is incredibly foolish to assume typing in 'Hampton Court' was all that was required. You would hope that most drivers in such a situation would have verified the destination address and or route using some alternative method rather than blindly following an incorrectly programmed GPS!

And that applies to anyone not just coach drivers Smile
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now the coach firm has banned its drivers from using sat-nav.

What good will that do? Ahhh, because we never got lost or went the wrong way before we had sat nav.

It just goes to show that the coach company is just as stupid as their driver.
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Quote:
Now the coach firm has banned its drivers from using sat-nav.

What good will that do? Ahhh, because we never got lost or went the wrong way before we had sat nav.

It just goes to show that the coach company is just as stupid as their driver.

Because of stories like this one my company is dead against satnav systems in their vehicles, but they wouldn't ban them! that said they are a bit behind with the times they still have Windows 95 on their computers 8O

To old to die young.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

classy56 wrote:
Because of stories like this one my company is dead against satnav systems in their vehicles, but they wouldn't ban them!

Let me guess: The people who are against using sat nav don't actually drive a bus for a living or actually use a sat nav, right? Laughing

I all these negative stories are a testament to how GOOD sat nav systems actually are. They do such a good job for 95% of the time that people put too much trust in them and blindly follow it's directions....

As for programming in the wrong destination - I've done that before too, though I figured it out pretty quickly when it wanted to go the wrong way and now I always review the route to make sure I'm going to the right place!
Stanley_Tweedle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I would always check the destination too. I also always print out some long and short range maps and have my road atlas at the ready and I'm not even a 'professional' driver.

I think sat navs can lead some to a false sense of security though. They are marketed in such a way as to make you think they are infallible. In a way I see them as currently in that grey area between an enthusiasts gadget and a mass market device. They still need a lot more development before they can be relied upon without engaging brain.

The river case is interesting. Given such an expensive sat nav system the woman probably thought it wouldn't tell her to drive an unsuitable route. Given a hundred people (who don't know how sat nav actually works) I bet there would be a few who would do the same. If I were a sat nav manufacturer I would be having sleepless nights worrying where these people would be ending up! Somehow sat navs in the future are going to have to be better informed and have more road sense than some of their customers.

I like reports such as these as they make me think about how sat navs can be improved, if we stop doing that then progress also stops.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just this last Saturday, I did a delivery addressed to Vodafone shop at 8 Cornhill, DT1 2BA. I don't often get chance to test my destination - whitevanman gets call whilst returning from somewhere, go straight to pickup, or pickup and take to Dorchester, the address will be on the parcel. The address WAS on and it wasn't doubtful, clearly printed label. As usual, I programmed the route THEN browsed it to the destination, because it wouldn't give Cornhill, instead it gave Grosvenor Crescent. I rang back in to my "Controller" with doubts, but he said he couldn't check.

After getting to the housing estate, I then struggled. Eventually (I don't drive 75 miles and give up!!) I got to the right place, South Street, pedestrianised shopping area. When I pointed out to the assistant that the postcode was wrong and was for Grosvenor Crescent and it would be wise to inform their supplier, she replied that lots of deliveries do get there OK addressed to Grosvenor Crescent, that they have two postcodes and that the postcode also got stuff to them. Royal Mail website gives correct postcode of DT1 1BA.

Did I blame my satnav? Not a bit. Satnav has only let me down twice in nearly two years, the fault of bad postcode files from Tom Tom. The first time I used it in anger, it guided me over an ex WD Bailey bridge, through a Traveller encampment, right spot on to the front door of the delivery address. That ended the days of carting a laptop and 40 A-Zs around the countryside!

I think my satnav is the best thing since sliced bread and some "inside" folk should go into the toaster!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:

Let me guess: The people who are against using sat nav don't actually drive a bus for a living or actually use a sat nav, right? Laughing

Spot on

Quote:

They do such a good job for 95% of the time that people put too much trust in them and blindly follow it's directions....

I think there is a difference between trust and blindly following it's directions.

I trust my Tomtom 110%, if I didn't I would always be panicing I was going wrong! what I don't do is follow it blindly, if the road don't look good I avoid it like the plague!

Quote:

As for programming in the wrong destination - I've done that before too, though I figured it out pretty quickly when it wanted to go the wrong way and now I always review the route to make sure I'm going to the right place!

Don't these people that end up in rivers etc know where their brake pedal is? or are they waiting for their satnavs to tell them to stop?

To old to die young.
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I got to the right place, South Street, pedestrianised shopping area.

Ahh the one that is normally busy with traffic? Laughing

To old to die young.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

classy56 wrote:
Don't these people that end up in rivers etc know where their brake pedal is? or are they waiting for their satnavs to tell them to stop?

Uh. My Garmin has directed me through a ford before and I drove through it too. Embarassed

However, since I am not a blonde bimbo driving daddies shockingly expensive car I actually checked the depth of the ford (they have posts to show the depth) before crossing it. Laughing
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
I actually checked the depth of the ford (they have posts to show the depth) before crossing it. Laughing

The two that I crossed in the Cotswolds didn't!!! I got away with it - VERY slowly.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
zzf00l
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
I thought that this was a strange end to the story -
Quote:
Miss Clark’s boyfriend then took the woman, who gave her name only as Hayley, to a motorway service station where a chauffeur-driven Bentley collected her.

She must of been good at something Smile to have been worth that, or was it more money than sense?

I found it quite amusing that 'Miss Clarkes' boyfriend wasn't stupid enough to risk life and limb by paddling in chest deep water.. and only had to drive the other stupid woman to the local garage!!!! (please excuse any apparent sexist overtones... non intended)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: