Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - WorldTracker GPRS Review comments
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

WorldTracker GPRS Review comments

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: WorldTracker GPRS Review comments Reply with quote

After our review of the WorldTracker Data Logger and the WorldTracker SMS we are now looking at the next generation device - the WorldTracker GPRS. Special thanks to Gilbert Walz of Security Concepts for again providing the review unit.

As I said in the first reviews those devices are slightly outside of our "Mobile Navigation" comfort zone, and are not something you come across every day. But GPS tracking is en vogue, and you may want to know how the high end devices perform.

Read the review here:
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/worldtrackergprs.php

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting review! However I would be even more interested in a review of the GPS-logger GL-50-S & GL-50-BT from San Jose Navigation Inc. It appears to be the follower to the WorldTracker Data Logger (released and reviewed here last year). With that device I can create a GPS log while out jogging or cycling and upload it to my desktop computer back home.

Regards,
Ulf
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ulf, you need to differentiate between trackers and loggers. For logging there are much better alternatives to Sanav, for example the recently reviewed Wintec WBT-100

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Ulf, you need to differentiate between trackers and loggers. For logging there are much better alternatives to Sanav, for example the recently reviewed Wintec WBT-100

Thanks for the advice. The WBT-100 unit does indeed look like a good alternative. The only downside would be that it's not using the Sirf III chipset, which could affect the sensitivity. But if the price of the unit is competitive and the reception is acceptable I could probably live with that. The crucial thing for me is to be able to get good reception from inside a backpack.

/Ulf
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The WBT-100 is only marginally inferior to the SiRF-IIIs - It performs fine from within a backpack.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D Thanks for the review, if the cost could be reduced this is an ideal security deivce for caravans. Here in the UK caravan theft is a big issue, but there are challenges with powering tracking devices from a 12V battery whilst they are in storage.

If I've understood the product correctly, I could connect this to the 12V battery, and hide the unit away, no current would be used. Only if the caravan is moved, the motion detector would kick in and the device start to transmit its position. The police could then be informed of the caravans position.

Great idea,
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedcam,

there is a lot of "functionality by obscurity" involved. Thieves will have no problem to cover the receiver with a tinfoil hat, or remove it altogether. The receiver would need to be wired somewhere inside the (plastic) frame of the caravan, completely out of sight. If your caravan is transported away in a 40 foot container then that won't help either...

These tracking devices are only good if there is consent, or an unsuspecing target.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
davidm_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting device, and good review...

One point that concerns me slightly is that the tracking website doesn't have any password protection. I don't know who has this review device now, but you can see where they are by typing the account number visible in your review into the web form at the URL visible in your review!

With 6 digit account numbers, it probably wouldn't take long to find other trackers too... Smile

I suppose knowing where somebody else's tracker is doesn't really matter, as you don't know who they are... but it just feels wrong, somehow.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair point. The review unit gets handed down quite a bit, and the tracking is nothing we need to hide. The ID is not limited to six digits though - you can assign any random ID to the device.

Have just talked to TrackingTheWeb.com and they are preparing a number of new packages with higher security and even customer hosted versions. More details to follow when we return from CES.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: