Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Road Charging
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Road Charging

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Road Charging Reply with quote

With all the talk of road charging, a petition has been started on the government web site against these proposals, i.e. pence per mile, black boxes fitted to all vehicles, e.t.c.
If you wish to add your name to the petition then click the link below and please pass this link on to all your contacts... Surely they can't get away with making us pay for the roads again can they?

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/traveltax/

Regards

John
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anybody should be charged for using the roads it should be those that only do a few miles a year, you know the ones, the ones that cut you up pulling out of their driveways proceed 50yds down the road, drop the kids off at school and then make the stressful 50 yd return journey home.

To old to die young.
lupos0_1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More than 26500 signatures, come on we can do better than that 8O
Latest Maps
(Internal GPS)
trafcam
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem with this personallly is that the idea is promoted as a means of reducing congestion. Well, out here in the sticks (i.e. not in London) the public transport is appalling, so my 12-mile journey to work would take more than an hour, as long as all the buses turn up on time. Buses after 5.30pm are already virtually non-existent. So as a means of reducing congestion this is all fine and dandy in the middle of London where buses and tube trains are every few minutes, but in the other 95% of the country it's nothing more than another revenue-raiser.

I accept that something should be done to deal with congestion, but in this area at least it's mainly down to poor road layout.
nivek22
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two simple answers to the traffic conditions..

1/ To reduce congestion: - Make the driving test harder.

Only the 'better/safer' drivers will be on the roads.
A retest could be enforced after certain offences (and possibly every 5 years).

2/ To reduce pollution: - Tax the fuel.

The more you use, the more you pay.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The more you use, the more you pay.
Abolish road tax and increase the tax on fuel. The more miles you do, the less MPG you do, the more you pay.

The person in the 3 or 4 litre vehicle covering 30-40 thousand miles per year would pay his/her fair share compared to the pensioner with a 1 litre covering 5000. Those using their vehicles at peak times and causing congestion, and extra pollution whilst sitting in traffic, will pay more. Those who do not have their car serviced regularly will find they use more fuel. And those with a lead boot will definitly feel the cost.

Too simple and too easy for our masters to understand.
trafcam
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
Too simple and too easy for our masters to understand.

Too little extra revenue, more like.

I for one would be quite happy with this, even with a nominal £5 admin charge for a tax disc - I think you'd need to keep the tax disc so as to easily indicate insurance and MOT. But it would mean that when I get the car in my sig pic out and do 400 miles in the summer, I wouldn't have to pay the same road tax as my everyday car that does 15000 miles per year.

Now, if the road pricing were to replace the current road taxes (including those taken as part of the cost of a litre of fuel), then I'd be all for it.

But if that were the case, as you suggest it would still be simpler to just levy this as a tax on fuel. The more time you spend in heavy congestion, the more fuel your car uses, those with really economical cars pay less, it works all round. The problem from the governments point of view is that it would be massively unpopular to add yet more taxes onto the already over-taxed fuel cost. Then again, I don't see anyone wild about road pricing, either.

What concerns me is the hardware requireed for road pricing, the little "black box". How much will it be? And will it become part of the MOT test, and therefore any car that doesn't have one will automatically fail? Is this another way to force older cars (and classics) off the road by stealth?
trafcam
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I should point out for the sake of clarification - I'm speaking here as me, Mike Edwards, not on behalf of the company I work for. My forum name reflects that as I originally posted here when people were asking questions about our products.
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
Abolish road tax and increase the tax on fuel. The more miles you do, the less MPG you do, the more you pay.

Agreed. That way EVERYONE pays towards the upkeep including foreign drivers. With the increase in overseas vehicle movements within the UK, why shouldn't they also contribute to safe, well maintained roads? It would also do away with the road tax dodgers, although there would probably need to be more customs officers on the road checking for red diesel!!

Mark
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trafcam wrote:
. . . I think you'd need to keep the tax disc so as to easily indicate insurance and MOT.

Why can't the documentation for insurance and MOT test include a tear out disc or rectangle giving the registration number of the car it applies to and the expiry date? These could be displayed on the windscreen instead of the tax disc.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why can't the documentation for insurance and MOT test include a tear out disc or rectangle giving the registration number of the car it applies to and the expiry date? These could be displayed on the windscreen instead of the tax disc.
Great idea. In fact at my cars last MOT I was given a tax disc size MOT disc with the main document. I thought at the time that maybe the plan was to have both Tax and MOT discs displayed. Time will tell.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
Quote:
Great idea. In fact at my cars last MOT I was given a tax disc size MOT disc with the main document. I thought at the time that maybe the plan was to have both Tax and MOT discs displayed. Time will tell.

Sounds like a good idea! We can but hope!
Samsung Galaxy S21
pendlemac
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marksfish wrote:
Lost_Property wrote:

Agreed. That way EVERYONE pays towards the upkeep including foreign drivers. With the increase in overseas vehicle movements within the UK, why shouldn't they also contribute to safe, well maintained roads? It would also do away with the road tax dodgers, although there would probably need to be more customs officers on the road checking for red diesel!!

Mark

Most foreign HGVs don't pay anything now because with the much higher diesel prices over here it pays them to fit oversized fuel tanks which are filled before they cross to the UK and allow them to do all the UK part of the journey without needing to top up.

There was a plan to charge foreign vehicles on entry to the UK but that was bound up with changes to the system for UK vehicles. The new system appears to have been dropped because the civil servants kept changing the design requirements resulting in delays and rising costs due to the amount of work that has to be trashed each time they have a 'bright idea'!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: