Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Reader Review - Haicom 305n CF GPS and BT Slipper
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Reader Review - Haicom 305n CF GPS and BT Slipper
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nulusios
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got the HI-305III I wanted in the first place (sent back the 303).

I didn't do any supertests or anything, I'll just tell you one thing I did.

In my (dense) city, in my building roof, installed the 305 for the first time from Taiwan (where they tested it before sending), on the other side of the planet.

It took a MERE 1 minute (one real not therotical minute) to make a nice clear and stable fix (coming from the closest thing to a cold reset), with NINE SATS!

I think it got the first two in the first 2-5 seconds (!) and then it had 5 for the next few and finally the LED blinked one minute after inserting the CF with NINE.

I rest my case. :P
tchart
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick, thanks for reviewing this unit.

I have a question for you...

You mentioned drivers in your review. Are these for the PDA or laptop only? Why I ask is that I know a couple of people with older MIPS PDA's. I am trying to confirm whether the drivers are required for the SD slot to work on a PDA. If there are drivers are they for Pocket PC 2002 and above (ie ARM only) or Pocket PC 2000 as well (ie MIPS & SH3 processors too).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Trevor
nulusios
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are drivers for the PC and drivers for the PDA.

The drivers for the PDA, concern the SD slot. The GPS part works without any drivers.

I am not sure if in the PDA setup, there is any MIPS compiled CAB.

Better email Haicom directly (they will answer for sure).

In any case as I said the GPS "side" will work anyway. Or you should buy the 303 variation (no SD) and not bother at all.
tchart
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick, thanks for the response I will email Haicom. The issue with the particular device is that it only has a CF slot and 16mb of memory. With the CF slot occupied by the GPS there isnt much room for maps etc on the device so the SD slot is important to these users.

Thanks again

Trevor
lslarry1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: HI 305N With Axim X50v problems Reply with quote

Also posted in the Haicom GPS Hardware forum

Quote:
Can anyone help? I have a Dell Axim x50v, and have just bought a Haicom HI-305N GPS receiver which I cannot get to work.

Firstly, I performed a hard reset and then installed the PocketPC driver from the CD that came with it (filename: elsdmmcsetup_pocketpc.exe). Next I installed the GPSInfo software from Haicom.

Now I inserted the GPS (with an empty 64MB sd card in it), and the red LED on it came on, fixed (haicom website says this means it is searching for satellites). After a while, the LED starts flashing (apparently it means it's fixed my position). Now I start the GPS Info program. I select COM4 (which is described as "Haicom-HI-305_Se") and nothing happens. The LED stays on or flashing (whatever it was doing before) So I click the "Start GPS button" and still nothing happens. I look at the GPS INFO tab, and it shows no data at all. Clicking the "Close GPS button" also has no effect. The LED on the GPS sensor, throughout all this is flashing as though it was working properly. It's as if clicking "Start GPS" or "Close GPS" had no effect whatsoever on the sensor itself.

So, I tried uninstalling the driver as I understood from reading other posts that this was only for the CF-SD interface. Now when I insert the GPS Sensor (with the SD memory in it) I get an "Unrecognised Card in Socket 1" message, which I "OK" away. The Sensor's LED however stays off. In GPS Info I have the same (non)results as in the previous case: nothing coming in from the sensor. Only difference to before, now when I select the right COM port and click "Start GPS" the LED on the sensor comes on for a split-second then goes back off, and stays off.

So I tried reinserting the GPS sensor, this time without the SD card in it. I get the same "Unrecognised card..." message which I OK. The LED stays off. I select COM4, click "Start GPS", and the LED comes on fixed. So it's searching I guess. I wait, and the LED starts flashing. Presumably it's found satellites then. I look under the "GPS INFO" tab, and... no data!

I am completely lost. Have I got a dud sensor? Am I doing something wrong? Help?
nulusios
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you don't seem to be doing something wrong
yes the driver is just for the SD and irrelevant to anything else

the normal thing is for the GPS LED to stay off if nobody has "switched on" access to its COM port

if you are sure about the COM number (check with the others) also make sure that you are in NMEA mode and 4800 baud
lslarry1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, Nick. I am sure about the COM number, as when the GPS isn't in the PDA there is no COM4 showing up, and when I plug it in COM4 appears and has the right name (as per my previous post). The baud rate is 4800. The GPS Info program from Haicom doesn't have any mention of NMEA, but I presume being from the manufacturer it's already in the right mode! Furthermore, when I try using TomTom, I select "Other NMEA" sensor, give it a baud rare of 4800, and the program still tells me "No GPS Sensor".
Is it strange then that with the drivers installed and an SD card in the slot the sensor is already active - i.e. the LED is on - from the moment I plug it into the PDA? If I plug the sensor in without the SD card, but with the drivers for the sd slot installed, the sensor does as you say: the LED stays off until I click "Start GPS" in GPS Info. After it's been on for 40 seconds or so it starts to blink, but I still get no data from it showing up on the screen.
nulusios
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is normal (I don't remember, because I use a GPS COM sharing solution so my GPS is "always on" when I plug it).

But of course not getting any data is NOT normal.

BTW, the Haicom utility never worked correctly for me (it freezes when I move to the second tab). ALL other "generic" GPS utilities (some found in here) work fine.
lslarry1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... the plot thickens. I tried using a different utility as you suggested: Winfast Navigator. I tell Navigator the right COM port and baud rate, and tell it to connect. It just says "Connecting..." at the bottom of the screen, but doesn't seem to actually connect as no data appears on the screen. I know the PDA is actually communicating with the sensor because if I uninstall the SD driver and use the sensor without anSD card in it the LED stays off until I tell Navigator to connect. When I tell it to connect, the LED comes on, fixed, then starts flashing, but still no data appears on screen. If I tell Navigator to disconnect, the LED switches off. I have emailed Haicom with the problem, and they just said that the combination SHOULD work, and suggested I try the GPS in another PDA. I'll seee if I can do that today, but I'm coming to the end of my options!
lslarry1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: HI-305N Problems Reply with quote

Well, I finally ran out of things to try, and sent back the GPS sensor. It was indeed faulty, and SuperEtrader replaced it with another identical one, which works brilliantly straight out of the box. Interestingly, despite some other reports that CompactFlash GPS devices are not supported by TomTom 5, mine work fine together. Great!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: