Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - San Jose G19 GPS Tracker
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

San Jose G19 GPS Tracker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: San Jose G19 GPS Tracker Reply with quote

San Jose (SANav) have announced the release of their new GPS dubbed the G-19 integrating a high-performance micro GPS receiver with GSM cellular transmitter, G-19 provides an emergency solution featuring innovative locating technology.

The San Jose G-19 has a built in SIM card allowing anyone to dial-up the GPS and find exactly where it is via an SMS text message.

The emergency alert when the emergency button is pressed will send your current location to the pre-programmed phone numbers on the SIM card, within a minute and the built-in 95 decibel alarm will also sound. How cool is that ?

More information available at San Jose website.

Last edited by Dave on Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
ianbar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: Bluetooth? Reply with quote

Dave,
I may be missing something, but I can't see any reference to (or any need for) for BT in this device. It appears to be an integrated GPS and GSM application with its own SIM permitting remote interrogation and position reporting using a cellular phone link.
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Dave has his mind crossed somewhere.
It is not a BT device.
Unless he has inside information which is not available on the San Jose site.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I do have some insider knowledge on what I was told was going to be the next product but the G-19 got sprung and you're correct it doesn't have BT connectivity according to the specs. I think that coupled with a few beers and the word wireless set me off.

I guess you all know what the next product is going to be based around now Wink
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Is there a market for this? Yes, not where you would think Reply with quote

Those that require this sort of protection e.g. sailors, microlighters etc would already have such faiclities to transmit a distress call on 121.5 Mhz. The advatage of this model, obviously is location (subject to seeing the sky). The nearest priced aviation version of one of these is about £900.00....
I can see a few of them avoiding the CAA approved devices and going straight for this...

Child protection, personal protection are two other areas as well.

I think it should be more rugged and require greater presence of mind to set it off though. Pressing one button? Maybe a squeeze device?

On a personal note. How many us us "non GPS" mind folk, would be able to locate a Lat and Lon anyway?
woody67
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a market for this? Yes, not where you would thi Reply with quote

SimonCatlin wrote:
On a personal note. How many us us "non GPS" mind folk, would be able to locate a Lat and Lon anyway?

If you was to use one of these, then the person whose phone would be sent the co-ordinates would have a gps device or internet access to something like multimap, so that they can enter the co-ordinates sent.

I don't think you would just program anyones numbers into the unit, and expect then to know what the text meant.

Any idea of prices? Similar devices are quite expensive - I wonder if this will be the 'Haicom' of the gps tracking units?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or even AutoRoute. Providing you know which format it's outputting the lat/long as, then it shouldn't be a problem, but not all apps support each format.

No prices yet, will let you know as soon as I find out.
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is nothing new but it is nice that is is put in a pocketable package so there are more uses, like tracking your children!

But the price we hear is too high, like more than TackM8 was 2 years ago.
gps4less
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: G19 Reply with quote

San Jose have also released there BT unit which is really small and seems to be a good little product based on a quick trial here.

The G19 is a bit disappointing though at the first pass. We received a sample to try and the first thing that was a major disapointment was that it needs a constant external power supply to operate. There does not seem to be any battery facility - a definate negative and one that San Jose has to address if they want to make this unit more attractive. It sends the location on panic or when called via SMS with a Long/Lat and this can be used manually or by using the phone as a modem to give location on your pc/pda.

Pricing for the unit will be about 200 punds max and maybe less. Our first unit was a preproduction unit and we hope to carry these on stock in the near future.

In its current form it will have more use for vehicle tracking than for personal tracking due to the power supply issue. But as a vehicle tracking unit at under 200 pounds then it has real potential.
gps4less
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: bt unit Reply with quote

Sorry but on rereading that the first line I may have given the impression that San Jose have released a BT version of the G19 - This is NOT so - the BT referred to is their new mini BT GPS antenna/receiver in a case the same size as the G19 (with its own power source!).
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: G19 Reply with quote

gps4less wrote:
San Jose have also released there BT unit which is really small and seems to be a good little product based on a quick trial here.

The G19 is a bit disappointing though at the first pass. We received a sample to try and the first thing that was a major disapointment was that it needs a constant external power supply to operate. There does not seem to be any battery facility - a definate negative and one that San Jose has to address if they want to make this unit more attractive. It sends the location on panic or when called via SMS with a Long/Lat and this can be used manually or by using the phone as a modem to give location on your pc/pda.

Pricing for the unit will be about 200 punds max and maybe less. Our first unit was a preproduction unit and we hope to carry these on stock in the near future.

In its current form it will have more use for vehicle tracking than for personal tracking due to the power supply issue. But as a vehicle tracking unit at under 200 pounds then it has real potential.

It is useless without battery power, or at least nothing special as similar ones (competitors) has been available for years! (more than 2). Form factor is irrelevant when you have to install it in vehicle.
The price is not good either.
I do not think it is anywhere near 200 pounds, not when I last heard.
Dealer price was already a lot more than 200 pounds.
dcohen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: price/availability Reply with quote

any news on the above ?
nickpotter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: SMS information to map plotter Reply with quote

If anyone is interested i have built a facility using Google maps where by you can type in the information you recieve on the sms and you get a detailed map you can zoom in and out of.

I built it for my Tracker which is in my Fireblade.

www.nnp.co.uk/gps

Anyone is welcome to use it as much as you like.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: