Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: Andy's Ford Focus Review
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: Andy's Ford Focus Review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:51 pm    Post subject: REVIEW COMMENTS: Andy's Ford Focus Review Reply with quote

We have just uploaded a review from Andy Lee which shows his Ford Focus and customised Ram Mount. You can read the full review here.
russgunn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a tidy setup that. Can't get the pictures to enlarge though, unless I resort to right click/open link in new window.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are probably running some sort of popup stopper. Disable this and it will pop up fine.
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody know where I can get the Ram mount?

Nick...
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick.

You could try www.gpsw.co.uk GPS Warehouse. They stock a range of RAM mount components. Click on the GPSW ad to the right.
Chris_GPS_Rules
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Focus mounting :) Reply with quote

Hi there,

I have a focus at the moment as a company hire car, although I used to have one for several years.

I will take some photos of how I've got it set up , but basically to the right side of the dash (where the heanted windscreen element has ended and does not intefer as much) you can remove the airvent that points at the driver window with no hassle.

Once this is popped out , remove the suction cup from your mount (navman 3000 in this count) and rap it in tape (yes I know how this sounds) then shuv it in the hole and duck tape it in place !! , to make it look tidy in my old Focus I put some grey felt around it, looked very smart, the navman jacket then sits perfectlty there.

I've got the re-rad hidden nicely too, you'll love the photos....

:D

Regards,
Chris
ShAkFaCe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 11:14 am    Post subject: Interested in your photos Reply with quote

Chris_GPS_Rules, you have the same KIT as me Thumbs Up . I would be very interested in these photos you are going to take.
If you could email me them i would appreciate it

nav@ntad.screaming.net

Do you have alot of problems with the Navman 3000? Does it indeed need to be in a placed where the heated elements on the windscreen dont cause effect i.e. the right hand side of the windscreen.

I have a RAM type mount which i have modded , clamped to my left hand CUP holder and the IPAQ and NAVMAN sit just under the glove box. I get long TTFF, but i have found once i stick the IPAQ out the window and get the initial lock I can shove it on its mount and it tends to work fine after that.

I live in London and the bear the risk of someone snatching the IPAQ as well as the NAVMAN while i am driving on the A406. So i tend to keep it hidden.
I too was going to opt for the RE-RAD aerial and would be interested to know where you have placed yours.
But then you bear the risk of someone noticing the receiver and thinking "hmmm this car hust have some KIT in it, i'll help myself to that"

look forward to seeing your pics mate
Chris_GPS_Rules
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Photos ! Reply with quote

As request

Firstly pop the air vent out
http://www.chris-net.co.uk/satnavfocus/fit1.jpg

Then you see the mount with the suction cup removed and lots of electrical tape around it
http://www.chris-net.co.uk/satnavfocus/fit2.jpg

Here you can see the mount in place (looks scruffy but you can tidy it up nicely like I did when I had a focus full time, this is just a hire car (as you can see from the do not drive this car past 1,300 miles servicing sticker on the dash !!!)
http://www.chris-net.co.uk/satnavfocus/fit3.jpg

Notice the re-rad is taped in place, the wire feeds nicely down the side and runs under the door panel into the back where it feeds from the rear lighter socket (I had to buy an extention as the re-rad cable wasn't quite long enough), the antenna then slips through the seats into the boot where it stays until I need the re-rad at which point I pop up through the boot lid onto the roof (sweeeeet)

And the final product....
http://www.chris-net.co.uk/satnavfocus/fit4.jpg

TomTom Navigator is what I use these days, the re-rad makes such a difference, I have not once lost SNR while under trees, even after tunnels it re-gains instantly.

Without the re-rad when mounted to the side the GPS is still quite useable, just be prepared to slow down or even stop should you lose the signal.

Nice Smile

Also you'll find the charger runs nicely over the dashboard and wedges inbetween the steering colum and the plastic, giving you enough slack so it doesn't strain the connection between that and the ipaq (as we know how fragile those can be !)

Hope this is useful !
I've also posted some sounds I use with the Checkpoint Safety Camera thingy, very cool link found on a forum on here for making your own voices....

http://www.chris-net.co.uk/satnavfocus/camahead.wav
http://www.chris-net.co.uk/satnavfocus/caminrange.wav

Regards,
Chris.

PS the web site was only started about 2 days ago so there is nothing on there yet !!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: