Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Adds Sony Ericsson P910 Support to Mobile 5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Adds Sony Ericsson P910 Support to Mobile 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adhsmith
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it all comes down to what you are used to, the Eten is too PDA and not enough phone for me, the ericson is a phone with pda functions.

Regards a swap, I'd be very tempted if I hadn't already invested in TTN5, a 1Gb SD card, wifi SD card and car charger etc. for the Eten.

Into Gaming and around Bristol, UK, Click signature image Cool
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, you're already finding good things to say about it. You can't use WLAN on a P910i, the SD memory is cheaper and the massive range of PocketPC apps far surpasses the UIQ.

Well for me it's back the my XDAII, could sony have made the interface any more confusing? The only good thing is the jog dial.
adhsmith
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The jog Dial is the thing I miss the most, you could nearly navigate the whole device one handed with its 5 way motion, not possible with m500, I'll happily ditch the wifi, only got it out of interest to see how useful it might be as a web terminal when I am away on business, Pocket IE is not too hot though.

How quick is the p910 at routing with Tom Tom, as it has a slower CPU (150ish vs 400 I think ) compared to the ETEN does it feel slower? Is TomTom exactly the same to use compared.

Your right about Sony Memory stick though, expensive but as I have a Sony Digicam, camcorder and a PSP they are more useful to me. £60 for 1Gb Duo isn't that bad.

Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Routing doesn't seem slow in comparison, otherwise the interface is excatly the same and can be used in Landscape or Portrait modes.

Sound however is evry quiet even at full volume.
ChrisB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As adhsmith says I guess its horses for courses Wink . I've had a lot of PDA's and phones over the years including MS PPC's, Palm, Psion and Symbian devices.

For a combined phone & PDA that is portable / pocketable whilst still having a decent screen area and handwriting recognition you have to go a long way to beat the Pxxx series of phones. The Symbian OS is extremely stable and from an interface point of view ideally suited for easy use on the move, especially when combined with the jog dial, plus the battery life is pretty good compared to most PDA's.

Everyones needs are different, but anyone considering a combined phone / PDA would be foolish not to check out the P910i. Although it doesn't have the quantity of apps out there that PPC's do, the quality is very good and all the essentials are there. For MS Office users DataViz's DocumentsToGo is excellent and provides better integration with Office than most solutions available for the PPC. The Opera web browser is also a fully featured web browser which in my experience is again a better browser than Pocket IE. Contacts / SMS / email integration is also excellent under UIQ.

I have high hopes for the next iteration of the Pxxx - rumour is that it has WiFi too which is possibly the only thing that might be useful when travelling.

Apologies for straying a bit off topic :D , I have heard from users with TT5 mobile on Symbian that the speed is pretty good, and certainly on a par with the other versions out there. Don't forget that the hardware specs of any machine are not the whole story - the OS and how it uses those resources is far more important.
gregh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>> Sound however is evry quiet even at full volume.

Hence my question about using the hands free output for sound, hint, hint ;) Twisted Evil Laughing
adhsmith
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisB wrote:
Don't forget that the hardware specs of any machine are not the whole story - the OS and how it uses those resources is far more important.

Yep I have realized that already, I had expected the Eten to be a wiz with my excel sheets and finance apps compared to the P800 but it has turn out to be slower despite clockspeed deficit. Sad

Sorry for the O/T Does the p910i still close down apps when switching to another like the p800 did, this was the only annoyance for me that PocketPC has improved upon, copying and pasting between apps meant having to load the app. each time on the p800.

Darren, I have had a little bit of a think about it and if you have a 910i with tomtom, I would probably do a swap for my Eten with tomtom, unless there are issues with transferring software license, of course, assuming condition is good as I already have a stack of accessories and software for the p800 which will run on p910i.

skjei
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: TomTom Stocks Reply with quote

What do you think of bying stocks in the company ?

http://www.tomtom.com/investor/index.php?Language=1
Swann
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:42 am    Post subject: TomTom Mobile 5 and P910a Reply with quote

Is the TomTom Mobile 5 Navigation compatible with the P910a?
mijoal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Connecting none tomtom gps to a p910i Reply with quote

Nords wrote:
Chris,

I have the same dilemma. Route 66 doesn't do external POI so I have discounted it, but undecided between Navicore and TT. Navicore is tipping the balance. There is a review of it (not depth - 2 pages) in PDA buyer(? - one of them anyway) this month. Darren - yours?

Chris, don't suppose you could explain in detail how you connected your tomtom 5 to your p910i, I've tried for a while now but with no success. I have a TomTom 5 software on my P910i, using a BT GPS, I have renamed the gps to TomTom Wireless GPS, MY P910i picks the gps up ok, but then hangs on to no gps connection or looses connection straight away once I have typed in the address where I need to go, I must be missing something someway, hope you can help, thanks mijoal

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: