Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTN5 on Axim X5 can't see BC307 gps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTN5 on Axim X5 can't see BC307 gps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kei
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: TTN5 on Axim X5 can't see BC307 gps Reply with quote

I've used this site for a while for information and general advice, but I've now got a specific problem that I can't find an answer to.

For the last 10 days or so I have been trying to get my TTN5 'upgrade' to work properly. I have a Dell Axim X5 Advanced with WM2003 and a Globalsat BC 307 CF GPS. It all worked fine with TTN3.

After the upgrade to TTN5 and then subsequent upgrade downloads to the latest version, the gps is not seen by TTN5. I have had much correspondence with TT Support and tried all their suggestions of various combinations of settings with no success. Finally I have received this message from them, to which I have no answer:

"This means that the GPS-receiver is locked on SIRF-binary mode. Can the GPS-receiver be reset and configured to use NMEA only NOT SIRF-binary.
With best regards,
The TomTom Customer Support Team"

I suppose this is because the 'upgrade' actually offers fewer choices in some aspects than earlier versions!

Can anyone help me with this one, please? I don't have enough technical knowledge to be able to answer the query from the Support Team.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, you need to download the gps driver for tt3, its available from the downloads section of this site vs2,06. Use this application to switch the GPS from sirf back to NMEA - Mike
kei
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply. I've downloaded the file you mentioned and it is now sitting as a zip on my desktop. Sorry to be such a newbie, but where do I need to send it to, please?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kei, Sorry for the delay, Its a while since I have used this so I re-installed to make sure.
Firstly un-zip the downloaded file and extract to your SD card (in a reader if no reader use windows exlorer and Active Sync to copy/ Paste the file). Once done re-insert the SD card into the PDA use file exlorer on the PDA to locate the file and tap it.
This will install the GPS program.
Connect the GPS / Bluetooth and Go to programs then select the new GPS program that will be there, use this program to select / configure the GPS - Mike
kei
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that - Followed the instructions and it all works fine when I use the GPS program. The gps is seen and locks on to give me a position, but when I go into TTN5.21 I still get 'No GPS device!'. This is still there when I configure the GPS within TT.
Do I need to delete any of the TTN5 GPS files so that it only sees the new(old TT3) files I have just put on the SD card?
kei
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to update. After over three weeks I'm still not able to get TTN5.21 to see my gps. I wonder why TT upgraded to a version that offered fewer options? Sad Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kei, what setings have you been trying with the combination, in TT go to preferences/ GPS status then configure, select other wired NMEA device, on the next screen select the Baud rate (get this from the manual or the manufacturers web site 4800 and 9600 are good starters for older units the newer ones will run at 34,800) on the last page select the bluetooth serial port (outgoing - which ever this is on your device) - Mike
kei
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello - thanks for the reply. I went through all the combinations on offer when I was getting help from the TT support team. It was after they had exhausted all suggestions apart from switching the gps to NMEA (but they didn't tell me how), that I came to this forum for more advice.

The annoying thing is that I know that the gps works, the pda works, TTN3 works, but for some unfathomable (so far) reason, the set up will not work with TTN5. It all points to TTN5, but no luck at all even after hard re-sets and clean installs.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kei, my first post into this thread should have got you up and running, use the TT3 GPS utility to switch the reciever to the NMEA protocol, if it is still in sirf mode then TT5 will not see it - Mike
kei
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike - Yes and that's why I'm so mystified! It seems to have worked for everybody else, therefore I'll give it one more go tomorrow, with a hard re-set and re-install. There must be something I've not done correctly, so I'll double check everything. Thanks for your patience.
kei
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D :D Thanks Mike :D :D I did two hard re-sets, reformatted the SD card, installed TTN5 then the .21 update, downloaded the old gps program 2.06, switched my gps to NMEA and stuck the whole lot out in the garden for 30 mins whilst I had a nervous cup of coffee! And it all works 8O :D

After so long and so much frustration. Many thanks for your help.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you got there in the end - Mike
kei
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Mike, but isn't it utterly ridiculous that so many purchasers of TTN5 have had to learn to jump through hoops?

I though that 'good' software writers made their products idiot-proof. Just shows what a pink, fluffy world I must be living in!!

The problems that I've had - which I've broadcast loud and long to my friends - have done nothing for TTs reputation and have definitely lost them three customers - so far Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: