Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Confusion - help required !!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Confusion - help required !!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt_e
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Confusion - help required !!! Reply with quote

I am just about to buy Memory Map Navigator...

www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk are selling the MM Navigator 2003 South OS edition for £149.95.

However...

They are also selling the same item (upgrade) for £99.95 and the MM Discoverer 2003 (e.g. region 8) for £39.99 = £139.94

So I could buy the Discoverer and upgrade it and get an extra map for £10.01 less than if I just bought the Navigator outright.

Am I missing something here???????????????

Also, can anyone persuade me that I should be buying fugawi or some alternative rather than Memory Map (I want it mainly for walking and recording wildlife finds).

thanks a bundle,

Matt
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Confusion - help required !!! Reply with quote

I am not too sure about the upgrade, but do you currently have a licensed copy of Memory-Map, if not you wont be able to upgrade.

The 2003 MM Navigator products come with 6 old region maps bundled together as either North or South.

Once you have a copy of MM Navigator you can buy additional Discoverer maps for it which will then work on the PDA as Navigator maps do. So basically you can buy UK South to get Navigator then buy Region 7 to get the Lake District maps without having to buy the North Navigator product.

Not sure if that is any clearer.
matt_e
Lifetime Member

I don't have anything yet!!

So I am basically thinking of buying MM Discoverer (1 region) and the MM Navigator (South) upgrade. Here is an extract from the website about the Navigator upgrade:

"Upgrade only version. Previous Memory-Map Navigator, Pocket Navigator or Discoverer software required. Complete with Ordnance Survey Landranger Regions 1 - 6 plus 1:250,000 Road Map and 'Search and Display' Index of over 250,000 places and points of interest."

So it seems it is cheaper to buy Discoverer and an upgrade than buying Navigator outright AND you get an extra map thrown in.

MikeB
Frequent Visitor

Good luck to you. Let us know if it works.
matt_e
Lifetime Member

Tee hee!!! I was hoping someone else would be telling me that it did work
matt_e
Lifetime Member

Well I've bought the above setup. I've installed the Discoverer Region 8 but won't be 'upgrading' to the Navigator South until next week (my birthday present) but will report back then.

Matt
Peter Kessler
Regular Visitor

I'm betting your plan will work.

One thing I can tell you: you've made the right choice in buying MM and not Fugawi. I've tested both for globalpositioningsystems.co.uk, and in my opinion Fugawi is a vastly inferior product to MM. It's much more complicated, and yet far less well programmed. It doesn't even have an uninstall feature, and its graphics are inferior too. The profile feature doesn't work on your PDA, and the whole business of being able to edit routes and tracks separately is mind-boggling. Everything in MM works as it should. For example, to create a route on your PDA, you just tap out a series of points. Fugawi demands that you fill out a dialogue box for each point on your route.

Good luck.

matt_e
Lifetime Member

Hi Peter,

Well unfortunately I am not happy

The upgrade comes with no serial number. Having phoned up Memory Map this morning it turns out it's just an upgarde of the maps and not the software. Basically Navigator to Navigator OR Discoverer to Discoverer.

I explained clearly that the box says Memory Map Navigator 2003 upgrade (requires previous version of Memory Map Navigaot OR Discoverer). By their own admission they said they "could not distinguish the two" but I would have to fork out an extra £40 if I wanted to upgrade to Navigator too.

The globalpositioningsystems.co.uk website still contains the same information about the upgrade.

I don't know what to do really. Do I take this up with globalpositioningsystems.co.uk or with Memory Map or Trading Standards? Unless I am missing some very small small print I feel I have definitely bought something that does not do what it says on the tin.

Any thoughts??

Cheers,

Matt
TimB
Occasional Visitor

Glad to hear that Peter

I had splashed out 200 odd quid on the whole of the UK memory map just before the release of Fugawi UK and the subsequent price drop by MM. When I heard, through this excellent website( e-mail from memory-map came about three weeks later!) I was understandably a bit pee-ed off at having spent alot more money than I might have done!

Memory map is an excellent product, just wish they would get their act together on the so called "immenent" release of the 1:25,000 maps and price them sensibly!

Yours Tim
TimB
Occasional Visitor

Imminent! Oops - I can spell but too hasty at proof reading!

Tim
Peter Kessler
Regular Visitor

Tim

I don't think the 1:25k release is MM's problem, it's a question of Ordnance Survey releasing the maps. In the meantime I thoroughly recommend the small extra expense on the 1:25k aerial photos, which are geo-referenced.

Matt

It's sounds like a clear case of mis-description, and would fall foul of the Trade Descriptions Act. Your remedy is through the place you bought it from, who should either pay the difference between what you thought you had and what you have, or give you a full refund and take the goods away.

Best
matt_e
Lifetime Member

OK folks - here's the final update...

The wording from Memory Map was indeed incorrect and they have now changed it.

It was certainly not my intention to con anyone but if you see something advertised for a certain amount, why on earth should you have to pay more for less? I was not particularly impressed by the initial response from Memory Map but through the intervention of Simon Pitts (

Director of Spotlight Guides)Memory Map issued me with a free upgrade to Navigator.

So thank you to Memory Map and a very big thank you to Simon and Spotlight Guides. Needless to say in future I shall be ordering from www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk.

Matt
Peter Kessler
Regular Visitor

Simon is an absolute stalwart of the gps industry in the UK. He gave me brilliant advice when I was trying to choose a receiver, and also invited me to write some reviews, which substantially defrayed the cost of the equipment. I can't praise him highly enough.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Memory-Map All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: