Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Guidetek GS-R238 SiRFStarIII Bluetooth GPS Review
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Guidetek GS-R238 SiRFStarIII Bluetooth GPS Review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Guidetek GS-R238 SiRFStarIII Bluetooth GPS Review Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comGuidetek have recently released the GS-R238 SiRFStarIII Bluetooth receiver and I have been testing it in earnest. Sharing the same innards as the Holux GPSlim but with a sleek new case it has as would be expected proved a capable performer.

It is becoming very difficult to differentiate between the current crop of SiRFStarIII receivers such is the quality of their performance. To read the full review and see what I thought of it click here.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This appears to be what I've been looking for, for a while now. I'd like to put my GPS receiver into my glove box and then completely forget about it. Having it start up when I start the engine.

You mention in the review that it does this, but it also has a battery. So for example the receiver is fully charged, I then park my car and turn off the ignition, will the receiver then continue operating for 10 hours until the battery dies? Presumably when I return to the car the next day and start the car again as soon as power is reapplied it will spring back into life?

Cheers
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes although it would continue operating for a lot longer than 10mins! Say 4-5 hrs.

What should be possible (haven't tested but will do) is to remove the battery completely. That way it would only operate with Switch in ON position when vehicle power was supplied.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Yes although it would continue operating for a lot longer than 10mins! Say 4-5 hrs.

What should be possible (haven't tested but will do) is to remove the battery completely. That way it would only operate with Switch in ON position when vehicle power was supplied.

That sounds good. I'm not too bothered how long it keeps operating after the power is removed, in fact if it were to keep running in the car while I (say) stopped at a services, then all the better since it doesn't have to reaquire when I get back.

My requirements really are that:
1. Works in glove box.. My current TomTom MkII does this so I don't see a problem with this doing the same.

2. Doesn't need any looking after. Once I've installed it I would not want to have to touch the unit at all until such time I want to remove it again. The TomTom receiver has the annoying property of needing to be switched on every time, and then automatically switching itself off when the GPS application is closed. I would want it to be running the whole time the ignition is on, even if I'm not using sat nav.

3. Doesn't drain my car battery. As above needs to work off a switched live input. I've had a GPS completely drain my car battery before!

4. Works seamlessly with TomTom Mobile, don't want to have to tell it which GPS I'm using every time I start the application as some others have mentioned.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkHewitt wrote:
4. Works seamlessly with TomTom Mobile, don't want to have to tell it which GPS I'm using every time I start the application as some others have mentioned.

Ah, well as TomTom Mobile 'officially' only supports the TomTom Bluetooth GPS then I couldn't swear that this would be the case.
t121anf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am interested in something similar.

my spec is

must only be on when ignition is on, and i dont want bluetooth on when igition is off.

so when you start the car, blue tooth turns on when you stop the car it stops.

that way i can wire it in and forget about and no little toe-rag is going to do a bluetooth scan and find it and therefore steal it
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Holuc 236 will do exactly that.

I have a Holux 236, removed the battery and left the hardware button on.

It resides under the driver's seat.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: