Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Best for Motorbike CBR 600 FY
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Best for Motorbike CBR 600 FY
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorcycle Forum now available guys. It can be found under GPS Lounge. Spread the word Smile
Nords
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, I'll be keeping a close eye on that!

Will you copy this thread across? Laughing
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already done Smile
TazUk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm waiting for the TomTom Rider to be finally released Rolling Eyes It seems they are only going to sell one version with the full European maps, personally I'd prefer a cheaper UK only one with the option of adding extra maps later Confused Of course I may just blow all the money on a new bike as my Daytona is coming up to 50k miles 8O
jpkeates
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to a review of tomtom rider.

I use my PDA based navigator on bikes.
It's fed through my intercom,
but the battery life on my XDA 2 sucks.
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi to the new forum ,must have happened while I was away.

I am still looking forward to darrens review of the rider when tomtom lift the nda on him and hope he has had a chance to link it into an autocom system by then.

Having got used to jane telling me to turn round when possible on tomtoms software I am loathe to swap so my hopes are pinned on the Rider when it comes out

But of course Garmin are soon to play catch up with the Quest II and the 2720 when they release the european versions ,which will have the possibility of adding POIs ie the wonderful Pocketgps speed camera database .

This will then give us bikers more choice ,always a good thing

I keep on learning but they invent new things faster ,How do I keep up ?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have an Autocom system but if Autcom has a Bluetooth capability or can interface with the Bluetooth headset module using the 2.5mm socket then there should be no reason why it can't be made to work.
andspenka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya guys,

I'm just new here too, been browsing for a few days now. I've just bought a Streetpilot i3 and I also have an '05 CBR 6. As suggested above I have tried it out by sticking the suction cup to the rev counter, I was worried at first that it wouldn't be strong enough but it held fine even over some bumpy surfaces. I didn't acually buy mine for the bike, I just don't have a car at the min and I just had to test it Laughing Out Loud.

I have an Autocom, and in answer to the bluetooth headset module, yes they do but they are expensive, about £120. Have a look here for details. It says it's for Nokia, but Bluetooth should work with any other Bluetooth device.
jpkeates
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't have much of Q3 left to release the Rider.

3 days, in fact.
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andspenka

Oh you risked that, i have used suction cups for years and i would not trust them on my bike.
GPSHonda
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andspenka wrote:
I have an Autocom, and in answer to the bluetooth headset module, yes they do but they are expensive, about £120. Have a look here for details. It says it's for Nokia, but Bluetooth should work with any other Bluetooth device.

I know I'm thick, so can you be more specific as to where it says about using bluetooth with Autocom.

I have a Pro-7 setup & was only saying a few days ago that bluetooth would be a way forward to get rid of some of the knitting of wires under my seat.

ta
peter
andspenka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StevenGourlay wrote:
andspenka

Oh you risked that, i have used suction cups for years and i would not trust them on my bike.

Yeah I must admit I was more than a little worried at first but it seemed quite secure really.

GPSHonda wrote:

I know I'm thick, so can you be more specific as to where it says about using bluetooth with Autocom.

I have a Pro-7 setup & was only saying a few days ago that bluetooth would be a way forward to get rid of some of the knitting of wires under my seat.

ta
peter

You need to hover your mouse over Autocom System Examples, then a side box will pop up. At the bottom of this box there is Full Parts and Prices. Scroll down to Phone Parts, part no.s 55.5 & 55.6 Nokia Advanced Bluetooth Kit.

Hope this helps.
GPSHonda
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andspenka wrote:

............Scroll down to Phone Parts, part no.s 55.5 & 55.6 Nokia Advanced Bluetooth Kit.

8) ta
A phone call to Autocom in the morning me thinks.

Peter

PS and editted for darren ;)

twice Laughing

Last edited by GPSHonda on Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
GPSHonda
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though my ranking is only 'Beginner' I've used GPS for years on my bikes (& in the car) having had an eMap, two SP3's, a 2620, a 2610, a TomTom on my PDA. And now I'm trying to get PocketPc, mapping (to be sourced), a bluetooth remote gps antenna & real time tracking to work on an Industrial PDA-ish device.

Most mere morals would not have had such exposure to the wonders of GPS, but I work in a related industry.

But back to the point…cutting a long story short - well sort of & ALL IMHO
A few years back I (and a number of mates) used an eMap in the top pocket of a tankbag. This setup with any gps will KILL you, because to see the screen of any gps in the tankbag pocket means you lose too much forward vision. You may say ‘well pull over then’, but that ain’t going to happen Wink

I then moved to a SP3, with u-bolt ram mount, this worked great and was plenty acceptable in its day. Only real problem was that the SP3 was a bit slow at recalculating the route if I missed a turn – no u-turns for me ;)

Then I moved to the CBR6 with the SP3, I could not get the u-bolt (RAM-BAR+UBOLT, pictures 1 & 2 on http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/RAM/ram.asp?prod=RAM-MERIDIAN ) to fit (I know someone has said they use it on their bars – obviously a better man than I) So I used the RAM-HB1 (picture 4 on http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/RAM/ram.asp?prod=RAM-MERIDIAN )
This worked well but as the SP3 is fairly large it often touched the screen.

To coincide with a 2620, I changed the ram mount to the head stock bolt, a bit like Honda4 on http://www.ram-mount.com/reviews/customerpicturegallery.htm (although there are a number of good solutions shown in the other pictures)
I then used the bar mount to mount a camcorder, but that's another story Rolling Eyes

I soon replaced the 2620 with the 2610, because I wanted the flexibility to use the PC for route planning etc etc rather than the unit (as with the 2620, which although loaded with all Europe is not really intended to be used with a PC & does not come with a set a PC usable maps nor the Garmin Mapsource software)

The best things about the 2610 are the speed of recalculating routes, the touch screen and of course it’s waterproof.

I do use a 3rd party external receiver/amplifier on the 2610. I don't bother with the voice through my autocom. I use a bayonet type fuse rather than a spring loaded glass one.

I & a number of friends have used TomTom on pdas on the bikes with various degrees of success, but as soon as you us a dedicated unit the pda is sent packing, not because of TomTom but more the non-waterproof nature of pdas.

Over the years I’ve found the more I use my gps the more I use my gps 8)
Now I wouldn’t leave home without it, in the last 5 years I’ve done over 40,000 miles on my bikes all over the UK & Europe, almost all of them with a gps showing me the way.

IMHO, get used to using the full features of any gps unit & its software before worrying about overlays etc.
If you are new to gps it’s a very steep learning curve.
On a bike, the fixing & powering adds another dimension.
8 hours battery life is ok for your day trips, but you’ll always need a spare set (just in case) & what about those Euro tours you'll be doing Smile

If you have money to burn, look at the 2610, Touratech bracket & ram mounts.
I like the look of the Quest @ £300ish it’s got to be a contender.
When you first use a gps on your bike, be careful, staying alive on a bike is hard enough without the added distraction of your new toy.

Well that’s my view anyway.
ST4S
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Quest on-bike Reply with quote

Hi all,

For what it's worth..

Bought a Quest 4 weeks ago for £320 prior to a trip to France on the ST4S (Official Ducati branded [Garmin] SatNav is £1,000 - gulp!). No mounting kit so I tested it in the map pocket of a tank bag (which misted up in the rain so I couldn't see the unit.. Doh!). However, when I could see it, it worked a treat! Also been using it in the car since, which has proved its effectiveness.

Anyway, bottom line is I was so impressed I have just lashed out the cash on the Garmin bike bracket. Just need a RAM mount now.

One small problem.. had to take the first Quest back for an exchange when the USB connector in the unit pulled out along with the USB cable (hope it's not a common problem).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: