Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iDrive Navigator
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iDrive Navigator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: iDrive Navigator Reply with quote

Caution here -
I have downloaded this and it seems not to run well on a hx4700.. The "skin" is wrong. Until I can get hold of someone, I have no idea if this can be changed.

The installation process is not for the weak...

In addition, activation failed as the email I sent asking for the licence key bounced.

There are lots of other issues that I can see, but the advantage for me is that is has Ireland!

I'll let you all know when they have been resolved.

Admin - Please can we add this to the notification of the Product. There was no "discuss this like normal"
vipergrm
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Simon, I am very seriously considering buying this product myself, mainly because of the Ireland coverage. But first I have a few questions which I hope you can help me with. Does it have FULL Ireland or full Northern Ireland coverage or both?

If you don't mind, can you check these towns to see if they have full street coverage?

Armagh
Coleraine
Strabane
Omagh

I would really appreciate it if you could check this. I have asked their sales team to check this for me but so far I have heard nothing. As you know, we have been crying out for full coverage for what seems like an ice age now. How do you find the software in general?

I would probably opt to download the software if indeed it does have the complete coverage.

Many thanks!

Viper
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be road testing on the M40 (London to Stratford upon Avon) tomorrow (Monday).
I'll review the NI issue tomorrow as well (as it is late now).

However, until all my issues are resolved I would not recommend this product, but think (as it is a fairly new product) it has the basics right.
vipergrm
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SimonCatlin wrote:
I'll be road testing on the M40 (London to Stratford upon Avon) tomorrow (Monday).
I'll review the NI issue tomorrow as well (as it is late now).

However, until all my issues are resolved I would not recommend this product, but think (as it is a fairly new product) it has the basics right.

Great! Thanks Simon. Hope it works out for you. Looking forward to hearing about the coverage!

Thanks
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thinking about this - is there a specific road in each of these areas? I don't know NI at all (never been there).

I have looked at Armagh and it has has the A3, A28, Dobbin Street Lane, Dobbin Street, Tha Mall (part of the A3), College Hill, College Street, Cathedral Road etc and some unamed roads.
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon

did you download and pay for it - the license appears to suggest it is available as shareware but there is only a purchase link.

90 quid without more info is to much for me!

Ian
vipergrm
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Simon! Thanks a lot for checking that. Armagh is actually a City here in Northern Ireland and it is pretty big. Seems that full coverage still isn't possible at the moment Crying or Very sad

On fact, idrive e-mailed me back today and said they were preparing a map update which may contain complete coverage. I REALLY hope they are right. I can't understand why it takes so long for the maps to get to the market. www.maporama.com have had the completed Northern Ireland Navteq maps for months now.

It might be worth asking about the map update Simon for your own sake. It seems a bit silly considering it has only been released a matter of days now!

I will just have to keep checking. If anyone comes accross any Sat Nav software that has complete NI coverage (and better Soutern coverage) I will definately purchase it. Thanks again Simon. Really appreciate your help,

Grant
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having driven for 180 miles with it today (well less than that - you will see why in a minute), I can say it is basic and has flaws, but for £90.00 it is not bad considering you Ireland (main routes anyway) included.

Problems I have encountered.
No 3D
No Skin for hx4700. This leads to small pictures and impossible navigation.
Installation was not for those with little knowledge.
POI's are limited and I have not tried creating my own, but then again, I cannot see away of doing this yet.
Voices are very much like TTN Jane.
Graphic for navigation at roundabouts does not relate to voice instructions.
Lots of other things to test, but the worst and the reason for aborting using it after 20 miles was that it is so slow on the map update. At one point I counted to 30 (about 30 seconds) before the map moved I should point out that I was running the program and maps from an SD card. The same SD card I have my TTN5 and Mapopolis Maps on and they have no issues.
Tonight I am going to move the program into File Store and see if that improves things on tomorrow's trip to Gloucester.

Once I have tested that I will be writing a list of issues to IDrive and see what they say. Still awaiting authorisation...

It is a good start, but no where near TTN5.
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw no 3D and today they post this...

http://idrivenavigator.com/news/20050905.htm
vipergrm
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report Simon! No way, so it actually took nearly 30 seconds for the map to update? Surely they must have tested that before releasing it??? Like you said it will be very interesting to see if it works better from main memory. I guess they will update your software free of charge?
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Progess Reply with quote

Ok - Today's progress.
Tested in File Store - much better - seems to be at most one second delay. There are no problems sub 40 mph as you get faster, it seems to start "jumping".

Other things I noticed today. Even though I have it set in Miles, it calculates in metres. They have advised me that I should not worry about this.
Exiting has a nice touch, where yu can choose to exit and close or exit and minimise - (Wish TTn5 did this).

It seems to be missing ETA, which I would have thought would have been fundamental.. I need to try running it on a bench and play with the config if possible.

**GOOD NEWS** They have issued me the unreleased hx4700 skin, which makes it much better to see, I have not tested this in anger yet.

Think TTN2 and you get close to where this is without the 3D, which is coming. The one thing I have to say is that development seems to be going on a pace as another version is due shortly.....
vipergrm
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think it might have to do with the quality of the SD card? There's some cards that have some very slow read/write times and some that are significantly faster. Surely you should be able to store the maps on an SD card without the huge delay???

Unfortunately they were not able to give me any idea of a release time for their new maps. They did say however that it is a 'lengthy process'.

No ETA? That seems quite basic. But I suppose for 99 Euros you can't have the Moon and the Stars unfortunately!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: