Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - The future of Navigation instructions?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

The future of Navigation instructions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: The future of Navigation instructions? Reply with quote

Quote:
Instead of studying an on-screen map or listening to spoken instructions, the system lets a driver pursue a cartoon car projected onto the windscreen in front of them?

Link
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds interesting but in practice I honestly can't see how practical this would be.

Chris
norm2002
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's an appalling idea. Your eyes will tend to focus on the ghost car and this will reduce the ability to see what will now be in your peripheral vision and slow your response time to other events. Driving in convoy is distracting enough but this would take it to the extreme.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only Microsoft could think of something like that. Oh, wait, the patent IS from Microsoft Laughing Laughing

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds almost similar to the head up display used in fighter aircraft. Instead of the ghost car, you have the hairpin sights, altitude, velocity, level flight, etc, etc. If pilots can handle all that information whilst flying at mach 2, I am sure we could deal with a little image projected onto the windscreen at 70mph!

Quote:
I think it's an appalling idea. Your eyes will tend to focus on the ghost car and this will reduce the ability to see what will now be in your peripheral vision and slow your response time to other events.

And what about when you take your eyse off the road to look at your navigation system? Does that not also reduce your ability to respond, especially if at the split second you glance at your monitor, the car in fornt brakes?

Quote:
Only Microsoft could think of something like that.

If it hadn't been MS, i'm sure someone else wouldn't have been far away. Although MS has the patent, you can bet that there will be a steady stream of other companies trickling out similar ideas in the not too distant future.

Just my thoughts Smile
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norm2002 wrote:
I think it's an appalling idea. Your eyes will tend to focus on the ghost car and this will reduce the ability to see what will now be in your peripheral vision and slow your response time to other events. Driving in convoy is distracting enough but this would take it to the extreme.

I don't think it will be as bad as you think - however I suspect maps will have to get better to esnure you don't follow the ghost car across the fields Smile
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this fits under the Gimmick category.

It would be interesting to see something like this working as the amount of power and processor speed you would need for the graphics and projection system are going to be significant. Although as marksfish says the technology exists in fighter planes.

Early systems using something like this are likley to be large and no doubt will be fitted during assembly of the vehicle.

Chris
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_w wrote:
I think this fits under the Gimmick category.

It would be interesting to see something like this working as the amount of power and processor speed you would need for the graphics and projection system are going to be significant. Although as marksfish says the technology exists in fighter planes.

Early systems using something like this are likley to be large and no doubt will be fitted during assembly of the vehicle.

I strongly suspect the processing and graphics power is already easily available

Citroen are already fitting head up displays in a car (or will when it is released) - C6

My guess we will start seeing more of this type technology
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyTheHand wrote:

Citroen are already fitting head up displays in a car (or will when it is released) - C6

It will be interesting to see how this performs in daylight. It shows a digital display similar to ones in fighter planes.

I'm not sure this will be capable of showing the level of detial required for mapping instructions - opinions?

Chris
TerryWalsh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi:

General Motors have been offering head up displays in their cars in the US for a number of years now. Cadillac even offers Infra Red night vision through the windscreen.

The secret of head up displays is that the image is focussed at infinity so it doesn't matter how far or near the driver is looking outside, the display will still be in focus as well. If the proposed Microsoft idea is literally just a car icon which is followed by the driver I dont imagine the processing power needed will be that much.

Terry Walsh
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_w wrote:
JimmyTheHand wrote:

It will be interesting to see how this performs in daylight. It shows a digital display similar to ones in fighter planes.

I'm not sure this will be capable of showing the level of detial required for mapping instructions - opinions?

I am not buying a c6 to try it out ;) (something about *@#*@# ugly looking beast :D :D ) - I suspect it will be OK in daylight.

I suspect the mapping/GPS accuracy might be more the issue than the display - after all all it really needs to do is point the way not display maps - but seeing a car (even cartoon one) turn though a building might be offputting.
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can specify head-up dispay on a BMW 5 series as an option.

Costs £925 but you need to also specify a SatNav option as well.

Don't know how well it works or what it looks like with the SatNav visuals.
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyTheHand wrote:

I am not buying a c6 to try it out ;) (something about *@#*@# ugly looking beast :D :D ) - I suspect it will be OK in daylight.

Yup Laughing - a bit like driving a fridge display unit from Sainsbury's.

Also I agree. Seeing a car drive through a building is bound to be a tad confusing.

Chris

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: