Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigator 6 software download
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigator 6 software download

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hgm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Navigator 6 software download Reply with quote

Is it possible to download the Navigator 6 application from somewhere? I purchased the v660 maps of Western Europe earlier this year for an IPaq 3715 which TomTom say is not compatible. I chose "other" when purchasing and my download gave me maps which work with Nav 5 but no Ver 6 application. I would like to try it out to see if it does work in practice. The actual application upgrade is supposed to be free.
I have the feeling that future updates won't work with Navigator 5 and would like to have a version that can be updated even if it runs a little slowly.

Henry Moring
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.tomtom.com/support/product.php?ID=1401&Language=1&FID=6736

as always, you can ignore the warnings.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
lamplight
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hgm - can you let us know how you got on with this? I did much the same on my Mio 168 - updating maps to version 660 but not upgrading to TT6, and like you have been wondrering if I should get TT6 now. Will v660 work with TT6 - or is there another version of the maps we need to get?
tomo1340
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for piggy backing but from reading this I get the impression that anyone can download the newer tomtom 6 software fir free as long as they buy a map that is compatible with version 6? If that's the case I probably could have saved myself a bit of money.
hgm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Lutz for his link.
I decided to take the plunge and try. I think it's necessary to have TomTom Home installed on your PC before you start. The download from the link seems to expect it.
I also decided to do the install using Home to the SD card rather than trying to use ActiveSync. This decoded the cab file and put V6 app on card.
When card placed back into PDA, it installed Nav 6 and put up a screen giving a Device Code for my PDA. This was different to the one I have always used before and the Activation Code I had for Western Europe map wouldn't work. I had to get a new activation code from TomTom for my new device code. (I don't know if this has used up one of my "lives").
However this new code worked.
I lost some info in the process such as Favourites and Home and also the file with the sounds for the safety cameras. I decided to download the newer ogg files for this and after some file renaming, they also worked. Some older Ver5 City Maps don't work either - thay just don't show up in the list of maps.
So the answer is yes, my v660 map for Nav 5 does work with Nav6 on an rx3175. It is somewhat slower in operation than before but I haven't tried in a car yet to know whether the slowdown will matter.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you have no POI's enabled to display on the map when in use as this slows down the PDA quite a lot, instead use the Warn when near POI option (Change Preferences/ Manage POI / Warn when near POI) as this uses less processor power - Mike
hgm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike
Is this proportional to the number of POIs displayed or absolute. i.e can I have just a couple of categories such as Motorway Junctions displayed without a slow down. I have all the safety camera POIs set as "display when near".

Henry
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the device with a few enabled by all means, but this will slow down the screen refresh rate, then try it will all POI disabled but using the Warn when near feature and see if there is a difference, not all devices slow down, but your PDA is right at the bottom in terms of processor power to start with. Any assistance you can give the device via set-up will improve the interface - Mike
redddevil
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I just ask HGM for clarification. You say you installed to SD card using Home and then put card back into PDA. This implies card wasn't in PDA when you installed but as soon as I start Home up it scans for the device and say it can't find it.
Did you you have PDA (sans SD card) connected but then install to SD card via USB reader?
Soory if I'm being daft but already having trouble with this 'cause I hd to select device as X51V to buy latest version and home is now complaining that my actual device X50V isn't the same as that on my account.
Aah technology...
aras
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Hx4700 with TT5. Bought the maps for version 6. As the 4700 (2003SE) is not supported I chose another Ipaq with 2003SE, a 6515 I think, as Lutz has said many times: Ignore all warnings so I just thought I skould take some with the same OS.
Then downloaded TT.6 and installed it.
Downloaded TT home and connected the Ipaq. In TT home there were the maps so I installed them on the SD card.
Then I used Pocket Mechanic to relocate the Navigator to the SD card too (free up memory) and it works perfectly.
TT support is not really much of a help.
drawmer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Lutz!
sucked in to the tomtom offer of V6+Western Europe, but it only downloaded the maps.
Followed the link and downloaded the V6. All worked fine on my Dell X51V. Even auto registered - which it didn't do for V5!

All I a=have to do now is sort out TomTom where failure to recognise my card built up a fat 'basket' I dont want them to bill me 3 times!
hgm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can I just ask HGM for clarification. You say you installed to SD card using Home and then put card back into PDA. This implies card wasn't in PDA when you installed but as soon as I start Home up it scans for the device and say it can't find it.

I didn't have the PDA connected. With the SD card in a reader, TomTom Home picks up the card and displays everything on it. If I select a map or application it will install onto the card.
I have just tried and it doesn't seem to mind at all that the PDA isn't connected.
I can't remember now if I tried to install direct to the PDA but I don't think I did because TomTom say that Home doesn't work with Nav 5 which would have been installed at the time.
When I plugged the card into the PDA afterwards, it recognised the new appliction and installed necessary bits. Unfortunately, as I mentioned, it seemed to think I had a different PDA and I had to get a new code.
generationgav
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you need TT5 (upgrade) to get this offer, or if I buy a TT6 map then can I download TT6?
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Will v660 work with TT6 - or is there another version of the maps we need to get?

Yes V660 will work with TTN6 on a mio 168 it also works slightly better if the mio OS is upgraded to 2003se which also gives landscape mode back in the OS which you lose in TTN6. Personally I think this is a better option.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: